miniDV recording in a Pro Camcorder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 21st, 2004, 07:10 AM   #1
Major Player

miniDV recording in a Pro Camcorder

Well i mean ,...., Panasonic DV200 as told to me records on Lage DV tape. It cant record on miniDV tapes because it doesnt have the dual tape size shifting motor to align the tab holes into tapoe holes.\

Having said this...when we sue a miniDV adopter to lay a miniDV tape in a standard DVCPRO deck cant we use the same adopter to record on a miniDV tape using DV200.

!!!
Old March 21st, 2004, 03:44 PM   #2
Contributor

So Panasonic uses an adapter in its decks for the smaller cassettes? I didn't know that. All Sony decks take both size tapes without an adapter. If you can use it, I'm sure the manual would have it listed. I doubt you can use it, because the mechanism in the camera is going to be a lot different from the decks.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 07:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Well i myself dont know that the Panasonic DV200 uses an adopter or not for mini dv tapes. the manual doesnt speaks of an adopter.

i wishto know if there is any possibility of the same.
Old March 21st, 2004, 08:42 PM   #4
Major Player

In my experience with Panasonic DVCPRO decks (in a linear editing system), you cannot record to miniDV even when the tape is placed in an adaptor. The adaptor only allows you to *play* a miniDV tape in a DVCPro deck, but you can't record to it. I'd guess that the same applies to DVCPro cameras

Perhaps this was due to the adaptor I was using, but it was my understanding that this was an aspect of the deck, not the adaptor.
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2004, 04:50 AM   #5
Major Player

Have you checked on the adoptor there must be a record inhit switch or some hole wheich needs to be covered or opened...May be one can use these tapes on...
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:58 AM   #6
Major Player

I have 2 DV200s at work and I'm pretty sure you can't use the adapter. I would try, but I just can't take the chance with a camera that is not mine. Logically it seems like it would, but again the insides are a little different between the decks and camera. As for the decks, the older D650 full size decks will not record to the dv format, just playback. The newer D450 will record to full and mini-dv, which is a major plus, since most of our footage is now shot on full size DV vs. DVCPro. Why? The DV200 is a better looking camera than our older DVCPro AG410.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi David can you share you experince with me on mail/forum on AGDV200 camcorer you have. Havent you tried to check on the adoptor for any rec inhibit hole being covered or left open !

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion