Slow motion cameras ?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 27th, 2009, 04:33 AM   #1
Trustee

Slow motion cameras ??

Hi people.

I'm going to be hiring a camera to shoot some high frame rate stuff (150FPS+). I have a limited budget so I think dedicated high speed cams will be out of the equation.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw up a post to see if you folks know of any cameras available with good fast frame features that are available at the moment.

I know the Z7/S270 has the smooth motion system that looks of a useable quality...it is this sort of thing I'm interested in !??

Many thanks
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Unless you're prepared to spend the cash you're probably going to have to make big compromises on image quality, so it really depends on what it's for.
You could hire an Arri SR2 Highspeed that'll do 150fps, and won't cost much to hire, just the filmstock will set you back a bit. At £200 per 10 minute roll, you'll be whizzing through it at 150fps!
There is a Phantom Miro made by Vision Research which is the size of a DSLR that will go upto about 1000fps, that's not too pricey. Image-wise though it's certainly not upto Phantom HD standards by any means, but it might be adequate for what you need. Got to High Speed Cameras: Digital High Speed Video Camera Systems and Accessories. and look for Miro 4. John Hannaford is the UK rep., and he has one for hire. This is some stuff on kites that I shot with it BBC Wales - Nature - Species - Red kite
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:16 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Steve
Thanks for the info...great stuff! Having never shot film I think trying to handle it under those cercumstances would be messy :-/ ! However I am interested in trying my hand shooting on a decent film camera for experience sake, so any info on places to hire would be much appreciated.

I hear what you are saying about compromising on quality. The footage is for a 10 minute short/film fest piece I've been working on for a couple of years now but its all self funded at the moment. I've just spoken to Steve and the Miro 4 is £1150 pw - which isn't bad on a daily rate (i need about 2-3 days) ....although they only hire by the week, and that is more than I was looking at.

Nice Kite footage btw...those feeding times look crazy! What frame rates this at /500ish ?

Cheers
Mat
Mat Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Lighthouse Films hires out an Arri SR2 package that's quite reasonably-priced. I would say mainly look at cameramen who have an SR Highspeed as they may want to get a bit of income from it as it's likely to be sitting there not getting much work. There's a guy called Graham Hatherley (who I only know in passing) who's trying to sell his, so may be interested in hiring it out Wildlife Filming by Graham Hatherley
Having said that, there's maybe not a lot of call for getting experience in S16 gear anymore, it really does seem to have had its day for wildlife filming - shame but there you are.
Also RSPB Film Unit has one, wonder if they might be interested in letting you have it - maybe they'd lend you it for a few days in exchange for some footage, I don't know.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #5
Trustee

The Casio EX-F1 shoots 512 x 384 @ 300 fps which is decent for high framerate footage. I have seen its HD samples and it is a passable HD camera as well as shooting stills.

Photo for HD Video (D-SLR and others) - The Digital Video Information Network
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion