Help me spend my money! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 6th, 2009, 02:47 AM   #1
Tourist

Help me spend my money!

Hi folks.

I'm new in these parts and am looking for advice on which HD cam to purchase. I'm a complete Mac guy (20 years!) and have an FCP workflow. Trying to figure out what will give me the best bang for my buck. I'm debating between three formats right now: HDV, AVCHD or direct-to-Quicktime (JVC).

The HMC150 has been recommended to me, but I'm concerned about AVCHD and the whole transcoding issue. Of course, I've read and been told it's better than HDV...however for ease, the JVC GY-HM100U records as .mov files -- no transcoding needed.

My limit is $4K, but I'd love to find something in the 2-3K range -- if it does what I want.

Any and all thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Jay Rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:17 AM   #2
Trustee

Is your budget just for a camera, or for a camera and needed accessories?
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You didn't mention what you want to use the camera for. What kind of shooting?
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #4
Tourist

Sorry, I suppose I should have added a bit more info. The budget for the camera alone is up to $4K, but I'd like to get something that is less than that for obvious reasons -- provided the camera does what I want.

As for what I'll be shooting with it, it's going to be a wide variety from shorts to docus to the occasional wedding.

Thanks again
Jay Rubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I would go to L V and put the money on red.
John S. Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #6
Trustee

I think the JVC 100 and 150 are good options. I like the fact that they use 3CCDs. Low light performance is a bit dodgy so I would leave those aside if that's important. Sony also offer some options in your price range that people around here seem to like. It's hard to go too far wrong with Sony, but after years of using different Sony consumer cams years ago I hated that virtually note of the ancillary bits were cross model compatible. That may have changed now, but I don't know.

After noodling your very question because the world of tapeless is enticing. I've decided if I was to buy a new camera, I'd buy the Canon XH A1s, or a used A1 which is what I already have. But that's just me.

I dipped my toe in the AVCHD realm last month for a Canon HF100 that will be used as a "Speed Shot" camera for my race shooting. Awesome footage with very little artifacting at the next to highest setting. I don't remember the data rate. However, it took over four hours to transcode 39 minutes of footage on a 3gHz Core 2 Duo machine. I'm as close to the bleeding edge as I want to be for now.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion