DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Free me from optical image stabilization! Ach! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/235021-free-me-optical-image-stabilization-ach.html)

Tripp Woelfel May 9th, 2009 08:35 PM

Free me from optical image stabilization! Ach!

When I'm holding a camera in my palsied hands, there's nothing I want more than OIS. But, when I securely bolt a cam with OIS switched off in a race car it all goes pear shaped quite quickly. Hit a bump or pick up engine vibration and the little optical gizmo behind the lens starts jumping about, turning the footage to rubbish.

I could turn the OIS on to keep that piece from bouncing around, but the undulating motions of the race car will shift the image up and down inducing an urpy feeling in the pit of the motion sensitive viewers.

I know that I'll have to disassemble my cameras to disable the little floaty bit, but I'm willing to perform that surgery on my GS400 because of the wonderful images it can give. I shoot exclusively HD so I really won't be using that Panny for anything but in-car footage if I can make it work. Otherwise it's for sale because I really need a fancy coffee drink about now.

Tom Hardwick May 10th, 2009 01:02 AM

Have you thought about mounting the GS in some isolating frame Tripp? Sounds like you need to cradle it in lots of foam to keep it clear of transmitted vibration. I'd keep the OIS active - at least it's on your side.

Tripp Woelfel May 10th, 2009 06:32 PM

Can't really do that in a race car as it would introduce some other unwanted motion. My old Sony TRV-10 and two new Canon ZR900s, both with electronic stabilization, work quite well. I was just trying to keep the old Panny employed a little longer.

John S. Cooper May 11th, 2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 1140959)
Can't really do that in a race car as it would introduce some other unwanted motion. My old Sony TRV-10 and two new Canon ZR900s, both with electronic stabilization, work quite well. I was just trying to keep the old Panny employed a little longer.

Why don't use those cameras that works? Technology goes forward, especially in cameras.

Andrew Smith May 11th, 2009 05:54 PM

Another reason to want to turn off the image stabilisation ...

I was using an admittedly domestic 3-chip camera to record a speaker standing at a lectern. And every time the speaker gestured with an arm or moved his torso, the "image stabilisation" would kick in and I'd get the motion wobbles. I really got tired of having to cut to the wide shot in post-production to mask the issue.

So yes ... I feel your pain.

Andrew

Tripp Woelfel May 11th, 2009 06:42 PM

I do, actually. It seems a shame for the Panny to sit at home in its case when I could put it in a race car. I may try it this weekend with the OIS on during practice to see how seasick it might make the viewers.

Douglas Thigpen May 11th, 2009 09:45 PM

Build a floating gimbal mount for your car.

Tripp Woelfel May 12th, 2009 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Thigpen (Post 1141639)
Build a floating gimbal mount for your car.

Ach!! Sorry Douglas. Have you ever seen a can of soda in a gimbal mount on a sailboat at sea? Doing a camera like that would yield the "drunken sailor" cam effect eliciting major "urpage" from the audience.

Problem is that the G-forces in the race car are too severe for that to work. The best result comes from securing the camera as tightly as possible to the car frame. Watch broadcasts of NASCAR, Indy, Formula 1 and even WRC. The cameras don't move relative to the car, ever. OIS gets in the way of that.

Douglas Thigpen May 12th, 2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 1141728)
Ach!! Sorry Douglas. Have you ever seen a can of soda in a gimbal mount on a sailboat at sea? Doing a camera like that would yield the "drunken sailor" cam effect eliciting major "urpage" from the audience.

Problem is that the G-forces in the race car are too severe for that to work. The best result comes from securing the camera as tightly as possible to the car frame. Watch broadcasts of NASCAR, Indy, Formula 1 and even WRC. The cameras don't move relative to the car, ever. OIS gets in the way of that.

Yeah, just make it a bit stiff and put on some limiters. That way it'd bank into the corners without doing a Jackie Chan "Drunk Fighter" impression during the straight aways, etc. It may not be standard Nascar, but it'd be great. =D

But yeah, wasn't the best thought out plan for general usage I guess. I just know I've done it before to mount a camera on a car meant to turn left thousands of time in a row back in North Carolina, but I was going for a very specific look for their footage and it worked (banked on the corners with them, etc, basically so watching the video was like being in their car and moving, except that you just watching a small static screen in front of your face).

Tripp Woelfel May 13th, 2009 06:20 PM

I'm going to add a second in-car camera to some cars this year, aimed at the driver. Being at full wide angle, the OIS might not be too intrusive. I'll give that a go this weekend during practice and see if it works.

San Diego's got to be way different than NC. The Mexican food's better but the BBQ may not be as good. (grin)