Upgrade from HV30 to what? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 10th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Upgrade from HV30 to what?

I've pretty much maxed out my HV30 and am bored silly with it - I wanna learn how to use a "real" camera. What should I upgrade to? I'm thinking perhaps XH A1? But I don't really know anything about any other cameras, so please give me some suggestions guys. I just need 1080p 24fps and a lot of tweakable features. Thank you.

P.S. Also, what's the difference between XH A1, XL H1 and XH G1?
Jackie Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Major Player

I love the picture my HV20 produces but hate the size factor and the compromises therein. I was eagerly reading news from NAB for a solid state version of the more professional Canon line. Alas, they let me down.

I almost bought a Panny HPX170 but just couldn't justify the cost. The features I really wanted were the waveform monitor and the pre-record function. Time-lapse would have been nice but hey. So I bought the HMC150. Haven't even shot anything with it. But after a VX1000, PD170, and the HV20, I gotta say: this is a heck of a camera.
Old May 10th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Trustee

The XH series is a logical step up from the HV30. If you can make the spend it is a good choice. There are other choices at a lower price point but I do not have any experience with them so I'll not comment further.

The A1s and G1s are identical cameras save that the G1 has additional video outputs specifically designed for uncompressed recording and real-time multi camera switching. It's doubtful you will ever need these features.

The XL is a very different camera. It has a shoulder mount configuration and removable lens. I do not know if it uses the same sensor and video processing as the XH series but if it doesn't, it is very similar. You should be able to get more data at Canon U.S.A
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Andy,

I agree the canon xha1 is a great logical step.

I shoot with an xlh1, mostly because I shoot wildlife as well as events. for most everything other than wildlife the xha1 is perhaps a better choice.

It has the same processors and ccds, 1/3 inch wide sreen ccd.

Mostly what I like about these two canons is the extreme control you have over images!!! No other camera really matches them, certainly within their budget range.

If you were a sony fan, then i would look at the ex1 or 3. I almost sprung for an ex 3 because of the over crank, but that is only at 720 P apparently, plus the rolling shutter, then it was also 3000 dollars more than the xlh1.

right now I think the best buy for the buck is an xha1. I intend to have one before the year end for run and gun and steadycam shooting in particular!!

some times I wished I had the aha1 instead of my xlh1!!!

I have seen them used for 2400 on the classified list in this forum!! Its a deal!!!

Look forward to hearing where you go with this!!
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I would go for the XH A1, I like that camera, and I think it's a good buy.
John S. Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:58 AM   #6
Major Player

I'm in the same boat. I keep waiting for a tapeless canon but it doesn't look like any are on the horizon. I'm considering switching. How does the A1 compare with the HMC150 and the HM100?
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #7
Major Player

What are you shooting that you are 'bored silly' with the HV30? I have the A1 and the HV30 and I find more uses for the little guy daily. I've just added a DOF adapter. You want to talk learning curve? Throw one on and see! If you're using this for paying gigs, the A1 makes more sense. As a hobbyists camera, you can do fine with the HV30 (being that its size allows you to take it with you more often).
Rent an A1 for a weekend, I'm sure you'll have fun...but can you see yourself taking it on long hikes, birthday parties, family functions..etc (without getting paid to haul it around)?
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Oh, I already have a 35mm adapter and some lenses. I need tweakability to play with and learn cinematography. BTW, will my TwoNeil work for an XH A1?
Jackie Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Buys View Post
How does the A1 compare with the HMC150 and the HM100?
While it's hardly the leader in the pack when it comes to low light, based upon what I have read in several reviews, the JVCs cannot match the XH A1 in that regard.

I personally like the JVC tapeless option using MPEG2 in theory. With a higher data rate than HDV, it could capture higher quality (less compressed) video than the Canon while you won't crush your editing computer with the AVCHD codec.

I don't like the lack of low light performance and what appear to be fewer functions controlled by external switches. And while I like tapeless, I cannot see myself going there fully until I can solve the archiving issue. I use a Canon HF100 with a 32GB card that I can fill up with a single shot. I'm not sure that will fit on one LTO tape, which isn't in my budget.

It's all about the compromises one must make in this product space. Be very clear about what you have to have and make sure the camera you buy has your must-have features.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks. I was wondering about lowlight performances. I want to go tapeless but I need something that's good in low light (compareable to VX2100) and I can overcrank to at least 60fps. I know the EX1 is out there but it just doesn't quite have the range I need, plus the rolling shutter is an issue for sports. I just don't see anything yet that warrants replacing my HV30's yet.

But I'm with Jackie, itching for the next best thing.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion