White Balancing Lens Caps at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 11th, 2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Major Player

White Balancing Lens Caps

Has anybody had any experience using a White Balancing Lens Cap? They look like a great idea, but do they actually work?
Old May 11th, 2009, 05:35 PM   #2
Major Player

A neutral coffee can lid works well and is free!

http://www.enosoft.net/products/enod...0Can%20Lid.gif
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:14 AM   #3
Major Player

This is new to me. Sounds like a great idea.

I too would be very interested to get some feedback from someone who has used one.
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I've used one actually but didn't think that much of it. I always found that it got 'fooled' if you were pointing at a brightly coloured wall or you find you don't balance correctly for the subject (if you have a complex lighting set up).

I think it is probably better suited to shoots with available light but with the amount of things you have to carry around anyway, I have always been able to find a place for a piece of card. I suppose it's the difference between £1 and £45. I still think the £1 solution is slightly more versatile.

Also, it doesn't help that I like to play around with the white balancing to get the right look. I sometimes balance warmer or cooler depending on what I'm after.
Steve Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Mellor View Post
Also, it doesn't help that I like to play around with the white balancing to get the right look. I sometimes balance warmer or cooler depending on what I'm after.
Hi Steve
Just out of interest, how do you do this. Do you use different cards or do you dial the k value in?
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gooderick View Post
Hi Steve
Just out of interest, how do you do this. Do you use different cards or do you dial the k value in?
I'm not good with numbers, I always forget them, so I use a set of warmcards (Vortex Media: VIDEO & PHOTO Tools and Training) which have been great for me. We didn't use them in our seasick monster video and I can really tell the difference between that and some of the test footage that I have been working with for the film.
Steve Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:14 AM   #7
Inner Circle

They were popular in the 80's - I had a few camcorders with them, and in general light, they're quite good, but colour casts from walls or floor do mess things up. I've always done things in theatres and found that getting the lx crew to do a full up bright state and then aiming the camera at it with the white cap was a good way of setting the 'average' colour balance. Nowadays a bit of folded A3 paper seems to suffice, zoomed in and defocussed. I never really noticed they'd gone until this post.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion