Anniversary Video... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old March 30th, 2004, 07:18 PM   #16
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Rick Bravo : Sorry Pat,

Time to up the prescription on the glasses!

Hey Dustin,

That little light will fool the hell out of you. I just shot with it for the first time using both a 950 and a 2000...too much light!

I had to constantly add a "cookie" using my fingers to cut it down.

Check out this 950 kit from another post.

http://home.mindspring.com/~ricks-pi...onfigurations/

I'll try to get that video out to you ASAP.

RB -->>>

Haha. I just found that out this morning. I was at best buy so I picked up the little light, a battery, and a Sunpak "fluid effect" tripod (hey I'm on a budget!). Well I clicked the light on and it completely lit up the opposite wall in my room!. I will have to make some kind of filter for it or something. Thanks for all your help Rick. Same with everyone else who replied. Thanks.
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 02:48 PM   #17
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ralph Morris : BTW,
The minute you take $$ for this be aware that you are in violation of copyright on every song you use. (Unless you use licensed music).

Chance of getting caught are small, but the penalties are staggering. -->>>

Maybe even BEFORE you take money. I was a bit surprised to see someone from a government agency openly discussing how they used copyrighted music for this project. Unless they did license the music in which case I take it all back.

Dennis Vogel
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2004, 02:54 PM   #18
Trustee

I swear I remember a thread about incidental music and that it is not the same as sync'ing. It may have been in Taking Care of Business or Now Hear This.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 08:41 PM   #19
Trustee

I know this isn't a perfect answer but it makes me feel better. I make sure I use only the music people hand me. If they own a copy of it, I feel it's OK to use it in their personal wedding, retirement and other pieces, which I will not be selling to outside interests.

May be stretching it a bit but it's their copy of their music I am using for their video.

Sean

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2004, 10:22 PM   #20
Major Player

Okay. Today was the day and it went pretty well. It started off bad because the people arrived an hour early so I didnt get any shots of them arriving as I didnt have my equipment set up yet. But I did get alot of filler shots of the restraunt, boats, sunset, etc. I got a few interviews of the couple, and their two closest friends and some others. The one thing that I was upset about though was the initial toast. It was a big Yachte Club that we were at and it was full of people getting wasted on expensive champaigne(sp?) so there ambient noise out the wazzoo, so I couldnt pick up any of that. But the interviews came out nicely. It wasnt really organized well or anything so it was kinda hard to do. Everyone was just kinda partying and eating and stuff. It was fun though and the people were super cool. After the dinner they asked me to come to their house and hang out and have drinks and cake and stuff so I did. Now this is the weirdest part....their house was the same house that I stayed in for a week when I moved to florida five years ago....I asked the lady if she remembers letting a family stay in her house a few years back while she was out on vacation and she said she did, then she said she knew my aunt (which is who hooked us up with them and their house back then). So that was a little strange, but cool. But the whole event was fun and turned out pretty good. Everyone was real nice and stuff. I also got like 50 pictures from the event and I still have some old pictures of the couple on the way from their granddaughter. I'll keep you posted on how the final edit turns out.
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #21
Regular Crew

"If they own a copy of it, I feel it's OK to use it in their personal wedding, retirement and other pieces, which I will not be selling to outside interests.

May be stretching it a bit but it's their copy of their music I am using for their video."

Sean, you are stretching it more than a little. Neither they nor you have a synchronization license. It matters not a bit if it is their copy. All it takes is for the wrong person to view the video and hear the music. (A competitor perhaps?)

I have a friend whose family attorney assures him that your argument is sound. Unfortunately, he is completely wrong.

Many will argue that there is not enough money involved for the copyright holders to sue. However, the reason big companies sue is to protect their property. The fact that you only made $1000 on a project is irrelevant. The law allows penalties of over $100,000 per infraction. Do you want to chance the expense of a defense? Do you want to chance losing your business?

There is a ton of good music available for licensing.
"Before they are gone forever..."
Ralph Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 02:18 PM   #22
Trustee

My argument is based on the DVD issues of copying material you legally have bought. I know that's all still up in the air but the basic idea is the same with software. If I own a copy of the song "Whiter Shade of Pale" (yes, I'm old) and want to put it on a small 3" CD, DVD, or any other medium, I am allowed to do so as long as it is for my own use. At least that's my understanding of the current ever changing view of protection of intelectual property.

If I wanted to use a song for non commercial purposes, that is I won't be selling copies of the work, I should be able to use it under my kids home video, or wedding, etc. Why then do folks play commercial music at weddings? Not the reception, but the wedding itself. I imagine Peter Paul and Mary could sue then for every instance of "The Wedding Song" ever played in a church? I don't think they released it to public domain.

And since we are on it, how many DJs are members of ASCAP/BMI ? I honestly don't know that one. Maybe they all are, or should be.

I have been working with a producer for some time now who told me the same thing your friends lawyer did. I was OK as long as they owned it.

Not saying anyone is wrong here at all. Just not really sure. I do know that while working for an NBC OnO (for 16 years) all the music used on the news proper was bought and paid for but- incidental music on the magazine format shows for years came from a Windom Hill collection. Sometimes the cuts were logged, mostly they weren't.

Not that that makes anything right mind you. Just another example. Another attempt to make it alright is to have the people you are working on the project for sign off that they actually have the right to use the music, or video clips, or images, etc. We had to do that on several locally produced shows as the clients were bringing in an old copy of "On Broadway" to use as a music bed.

I need a copy of the media rights book that's out there right now. Maybe I will get with a media rights group and do a small video on the subject itself. Now that's an idea... where's that copy of the Stones "Satsfaction"....

Sean

Sean

Old April 7th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi Sean,

Most lawyers are not familiar with the Digital Millineum Copyright Act.

Whiter Shade of Pale? I remember Rock around the Clock - Bill Haley and the Comets.....

If you want to have your clients assert they have all necessary permissions, then I'd also have them notarize the statement and post a bond in perpetuity protecting you against all suits, because they may not have enough assets to defend.

Personally, I am not incorporated, so my home is at stake. Never underestimate the deviousness of a competitor.

I've beaten the horse to death. Choose your clients carefully and don't put your name on any of the works.
Ralph Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #24
Trustee

Thanks Ralph. Yep, the whole issue is very long in the tooth as they say. You are right in that to do it right is the best way. They sure don't make it easy on the little guy however. Minimum buy into ASCAP nd BMI is $256 per year for each as I recall. I don't know if that would even cover what we do.

I remember Bill Hailey but mostly from the "Happy Days" opening.

I do however have a real soft spot for The Ink Spots and The Mills Brothers. Mom had listened to them when I was a kid so I remember hearing them around the house. I think she gre up with them in her mothers house as mom was born in "41. I rediscovered them when those "Country Time" lemonade commercials were popular a few years back.

See ya,

Sean

Old April 8th, 2004, 07:53 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Oh thanks Sean, now I really feel old. On the other hand, I am a year younger than your mom..... :-))
Ralph Morris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion