Canon WD-H72 Wide Converter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 24th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #1
New Boot

Canon WD-H72 Wide Converter

I have a couple of questions for anyone who owns a WD-H72... I'm looking into buying one of these for a broadcast camera (with Canon YH16x7K12U lens). Just to confirm: will it fit on any 72mm thread? All of the information and references that I can find show it mounted on a XH-A1. Also, it comes with a lens hood specifically for the converter, correct? Finally, being a "zoom-through" it allows the existing lens to continue to function from wide to full telephoto, does it also decrease the full telephoto ability? The current lens is 16x... will that be decreased when used with the WD-H72?

I appreciate anyone's input! Thanks!

-Corey
Corey Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Trustee

The converter comes with a lens shade.
It is completely zoom thru on the XH-A1 and XH-G1

However, I have only ever seen it listed as being compatible with the Canon XH series cameras. I think it was designed for these and I'm not sure it could be used on something else.

If you want to use it on something else, I suggest taking your camera and lens into a store and trying the converter before buying. My guess is that the converter would not be suitable for the lens you have, but I don't know.

I am not sure I understand your last question. However, the Canon XH cameras maximum telephoto is 20x. With the converter the maximum telephoto is 20x multiplied by .8, so the maximum zoom is reduced with a wide angle converter.
(.8 X 20 = 16, or .8 X 16 = 12.8)

For advice on some possibilities for you lens I suggest calling Century in Van Nuys, CA. I don't think it is likely there is a converter (full zoom throught) available, but I am sure there are some adapters (non or partial zoom through) available.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
I am not sure I understand your last question. However, the Canon XH cameras maximum telephoto is 20x. With the converter the maximum telephoto is 20x multiplied by .8, so the maximum zoom is reduced with a wide angle converter.
(.8 X 20 = 16, or .8 X 16 = 12.8)
Thanks for your reply!
That is what I was asking, if the maximum zoom was made less by having the converter in place. Makes sense, that's what I assumed would happen.

I dont see why it wouldn't work with another lens with the same diameter. Can anyone confirm this either way?
Corey Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Trustee

i use it and like it on the XHA1, but I can think of a few reasons you might want to test it ---
One, it is made specifically to mate with the optics of the XH cameras, which may or may not imply that it might not focus thru, or might vignette, or not be sharp, or something, with other optics. Zooms are complicated beasts....

Two, it is a heavy chunk of glass and might strain the mounts of some long, slender lenses (I'm thinking, for example, Fujinons, but I don't KNOW that it would be a problem). For sure, it would add a lot of front balance to a camera not designed for it. It is a quality item, no mistake, for it's intended application, but there is no guarantee that it would work universally. So the advice to try before you buy is good..../bv
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion