Slow motion questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 4th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Slow motion questions

I understand there is a post production section, as well as an HV30, however I posted in this category because I feel as though my question covers a fairly broad spectrum.

Im shooting with an HV30, in HDV-30, shutter priority, speed 2000. I had plenty of light, uploaded the footage into Final Cut Pro, and tried to slow the footage down (75% then 50%) and found to to be very jittery, and rough (without frame blending) and just looked plain poor when I tried it with frame blending. The scene was both filmed from a stationary position, as well as moving, and neither turned out.

This youtube video was filmed with an HV30, and is very smooth, and crisp, any ideas of what I am missing?

YouTube - Canon HV30 slow motion test footage
Andrew Gizinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The shutter speed is one of the problems. Keep it at 180* angle. Missing inbetween frames is the other. Try record interlaced instead, then split the fields to have 50/60 fps
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

andrew,

Definitely shoot 1/100 , up to 1/200 may be alright too.

If you shoot interlaced 60 or 50, then convert the footage to progressive and set to interpolate, then select the play rate and make it .5 to .75 and that will give you better slow motion.

you can also do a time stretch in many programs, or a velocity envelope in Vegas.

I used to shoot in progressive for slow motion, but that requires building full frames, or in some duplicating frames.

by shooting interlaced when you convert to progressive it only has to build half frames. I believe this gives me a little better slow motion by these methods

the faster the shutter speeds the more timestretch you need to make it look reasonable.

you can also combine the play rate and then the velocity on top of that. I prrefer to do the velocity, render it, place it back on the line, then use the velocity on top of it if necessary.

Hope the aforementioned will give you some ideas or direction.
Old June 11th, 2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Major Player

I've had the same question, just never posted it.

I've been looking at all of Dale's responses across the board, on this subject, for a while, but still need to try it, on the subject matter I intend to use it on.

I guess I could try it out in traffic, until I find the last open feild in my area, to capture clouds.

I guess I could try it on a small creek or river, as well.

Thanks for posting the question and to those of you that have responded.
Old June 11th, 2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Good afternoon,

I forgot to mention that slo mo can also be done by playing from one camera in slo motion (usually this done by pushing play and then slo on a remote), via fire wire or component cables run it to the second camera and capture it at regular frame rate.

you then could experiment with 60i or 30 p and then tampering with the play rate or velocity envelope/time stretch.

If one was going to do it this way I would suspect shooting at a faster shutter speed would give you clearer images when you recapture it to the second camera. that in itself would add a little more latitude to work with!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion