DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Sound effects suck. any suggestions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/236868-sound-effects-suck-any-suggestions.html)

Bryan Wilkat June 6th, 2009 02:37 PM

Sound effects suck. any suggestions?

Hey guys, I've looked at sound effects libraries and have been REALLY disappointed with whats out there.
I'm looking for good fighting sound effects, I have a scene where a guy gets punched in the mouth, and another guy gets beaten to death with a baseball bat.

If any of you have any good sound effects you could share, it would be greatly appreciated, I'll thank you in the credits!

Mike Peter Reed June 6th, 2009 02:48 PM

Have you trawled freesound :: home page for anything suitable?

Brian Drysdale June 6th, 2009 02:51 PM

Stuff like that I'd tend to create myself. These sound Fx tend to be faked anyway and it's part of the fun bashing at vegetables and other objects creating them, plus you can be more precise in matching the sound effects to your film's actions and mood.

The Art of Foley - Specifics

Shaun Roemich June 6th, 2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1154951)
Stuff like that I'd tend to create myself. These sound Fx tend to be faked anyway and it's part of the fun bashing at vegetables and other objects creating them

Just go 'round the pub close to closing time with a recorder... you'll get all the SFX you need!

Dean Sensui June 6th, 2009 03:23 PM

The few times I did this I created the effects myself.

Often sounds were mixed to create a specific sound. For example the deep "thud" from hitting a sofa cushion would be mixed with the sharper qualities of smacking someone's bare chest with the flat of a hand to create a hard impact that had deep undertones.

Stock gunshots would be mixed to get just the right gunshot sound. Again, mixing low and high-register effects to get the right blend.

Breaking bones would be done with green twigs. Varying the distance from the mic will make a difference. And, of course, choosing the right mic makes a difference. Also pay close attention to the room ambience. I tend to want to get dry effects that can be sweetened later.

The process is time consuming but it can be a lot of fun, too.

Nicholas de Kock June 6th, 2009 06:02 PM

Sony Sound Effects Volume 7 Hand to Hand Combat. Might be what you are looking for, has some good quality sounds that would fit a fighting scene.

Gary Nattrass June 6th, 2009 06:23 PM

As Brian says do it yourself, I always find it more satisfying that way too.

Bryan Wilkat June 7th, 2009 09:12 AM

Thanks everyone for your help.
I agree its better to do sound effects yourself but I was having trouble getting a good punching sound, the Sony effects are pretty decent, mixed properly they work well for my scene (thanks Nicholas).

Dylan Couper June 8th, 2009 08:38 AM

I've always liked Download Sound Effects | SoundDogs.com for special effects.