Producing for the Web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 9th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #1
Tourist

Producing for the Web

I have made about 50 short films for the web and pretty much just hacked myself through. Overall I am happy with the final product but I would like to perhaps get more out of my images and audio. So my question is this: With my Shoot -> <b>Shake - noise reduction</b> -> FCP -> color -> web upload workflow is there anything that I can do other that try to remove some of the compression artifacts after I shoot my shorts and before I actually do my editing so that what I have on my screen will be the closest to what actually is put online after compression. I guess I am looking for some sort of "compression lut" if such a thing exists.
Rachel Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #2
Trustee

Rachael,

That seems to be a bit convoluted as a workflow.

Typically, I think a safer and more sensible workflow would be Shoot - FCP edit - then use Shake and color to make any necessary corrections to ONLY the footage that makes the cut into your final movie.

Using Shake to process footage you might NEVER use in your final seems like an unnecessary hassle.

Plus, why is such noise reduction necessary? Is there something you're doing when shooting that's yielding such noisy footage that you have to run everything through Shake before you even bring it into the timeline?

Seems like there's a piece of the puzzle missing.

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more about your production process. What kinds of things are you shooting. What's the lighting environment, etc.

Then perhaps we can help more.

BTW, 50 short films is an impressive output. But what that much experience, you should expect very good results even if you've just learned a *little* bit each time!

Keep it up!
Bill Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion