DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Program Dropping frames when capturing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/237151-program-dropping-frames-when-capturing.html)

Chris Mier June 10th, 2009 07:07 PM

Program Dropping frames when capturing

Sometimes when I am capturing video the program drops frames. This causes the video to appear jumpy and looks BAD. Is this a software issue, a camera issue, or a tape issue?

Before you ask, I am using a Canon GL-2 with Panasonic tapes and Pinnacle Studio 12.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Gene Gajewski June 10th, 2009 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Mier (Post 1156949)
Sometimes when I am capturing video the program drops frames. This causes the video to appear jumpy and looks BAD. Is this a software issue, a camera issue, or a tape issue?

Before you ask, I am using a Canon GL-2 with Panasonic tapes and Pinnacle Studio 12.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I'm guessing you're capturing via firewire? If so, it's the software dropping the frames.

Generic advice is to make sure any unneccessary programs aren't running to give the capture application maximum CPU availability.

Greg Donovan June 10th, 2009 08:05 PM

I second that. Restart the computer, make sure nothing is running except Pinnacle, and don't use the computer until the importing is finished. Also try turning off the import preview. That helps sometimes.

Greg

Chris Mier June 10th, 2009 08:30 PM

Thanks, will try that.

Should I use soomething other than firewire?

Greg Donovan June 10th, 2009 08:39 PM

No, you need to use firewire.

Greg

Ken Campbell June 10th, 2009 11:37 PM

While certain programs like antivirus can cause this, sometimes it is the Firewire cable. I bought a cheap one in the beginning and had these dropouts. Unfortunately, not all Firewire cables are equal and getting a good one can help avoid this.

Chris Mier June 12th, 2009 07:53 AM

Can I use a Portable Hard drive?

I am shooting with 2 GL-2's, one on a tripod and one on a glidecam 2000, and was wondering if I could use a portable harddrive while taping? Would this help with the frame dropping issue?

Robert M Wright June 12th, 2009 08:09 AM

WinDV (freeware) is one of the few DV capture apps that uses a memory buffer, which can help prevent dropped frames:

WinDV

Tuy Le June 12th, 2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Mier (Post 1157589)
I am shooting with 2 GL-2's, one on a tripod and one on a glidecam 2000, and was wondering if I could use a portable harddrive while taping? Would this help with the frame dropping issue?

If your editing software can import the file then do it - save time (don't need to capture) and no more drop frame.

Chris Mier June 12th, 2009 12:52 PM

Follow-up to prev post

Will the camera also record to tape as well?

Robert M Wright June 12th, 2009 06:54 PM

Getting something like a FireStore is a fairly expensive way to deal with the issue of your computer dropping frames while capturing, and really doesn't resolve whatever the issue is with your computer in the first place (a bit like buying bottled water because your faucet doesn't work). Likely causes include a badly fragmented hard drive and excessive bloatware running in the background. Whatever is causing the dropped frames, the issue(s) should be put to rest, regardless of doing anything else.