Firewire DA? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 15th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #1
New Boot

Firewire DA?

Hi,

I want to feed Firewire from my Sony PD-170 into two Panosonic DVD recorders. Each recorder had firewire in. I'd like to locate some type of firewire distribution amp that I can feed the camera firewire out to and get maybe 4 or 5 firewire outputs from. I then want to take these outputs and feed them into the firewire in on several recorders. I can then play the tape from the camera and make several dvd's at a time. Anyone tell me of a DA or other device that would allow this?

Thanks
Dean
Dean McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #2
Trustee

Just do a Google search on "Firewire Hub" and you'll find plenty.

Since Firewire (IEEE 1394) is a digital signal, you don't really need a distribution amp like you would in an analog signal DA. At least not for 3 or 4 clones.

If you want to do 20 or so, Kramer makes one for large installations that does that.

Search "Firewire DA" to find that.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 03:16 AM   #3
New Boot

Firewire HUB

Hi again,

I bought a Kramer VS 4 FW Firewire Hub. I am having a problem using it with my Sony EX1R and two Sony DVDirect 16x External USB 2.0 Double-Layer DVD±RW Drives. At first hook up I can not get the drives / burners to see the firewire video. If I keep playing with each piece of equipment I can got ONE of the drives / burners to see the playback from the camera. Any one making multiple DVD's from the EX1R using firewire? Can anyone tell me how to make the hookup work?

Thanks
Dean
Dean McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:19 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Did you really mean you're hooking Firewire to USB? I didn't think that would work at all.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Inner Circle

A Firewire hub does not act as a DA does in analog. Firewire establishes point to point streams. A hub lets you physically hook up a bunch of devices but at any given time, only two are transferring data to and fro.

I've not been successful in doing what you are trying to do after buying a Laird Firewire device 8 years ago that claimed to be a DA. But you could take a look at their current products and maybe find something that will be of use.

Laird Telemedia Welcomes You!

Last edited by Les Wilson; January 23rd, 2011 at 05:38 AM.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Major Player

Hi Dean,

Have you tried this with just a single DVD burner and got it to work? MiniDV tape is 13GB/hour. DVD is 4.7GB. You'd only get about 20 minutes on a DVD. Even for going to a single DVD burner, I think you'll need a computer in between the camera and the burner.

I'm afraid you're going to have to capture the footage using a computer and editing software, which will put it into a video file format and then you can output it to a mulitple-DVD burner unit, which goes for about $500-800.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion