MPEG Streamclip - can't read the next time code at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #1
New Boot

MPEG Streamclip - can't read the next time code

Hey all.

I've been tasked with taking a bunch of clips from football dvds to make a highlight reel. The footage is just amateur stuff shot by the parents in the stands. It seems like they just compiled all the footage onto separate dvds. So the discs are riddled with time code breaks. When I try to "fix time code" it gets stuck at a certain spot and says "Can't read the next time code". It just sort of stops at that point and I can't seem to access the footage beyond that point. I need those clips though. Any ideas? (When I play it in DVD player, it plays fine and I can see the clips I need.)

J.
Jarrod Tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Trustee

Don't have anything to test my thesis with, but if it's amateur stuff it is most likely shot on consumer cameras that don't do time code in the first place. Try opening without fixing the time code, maybe?

Are there separate .vob files for each clip or did somebody put all the clips mushed together into one timeline and export to dvd? If there are individual .vobs you can drag them one at a time into mpegstreamclip and export them as avi's or something...

Heaven save us from amateurs with Walgreen's special video cameras...../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #3
Tourist

Re: MPEG Streamclip - can't read the next time code

I know this is an ancient thread, but I found it via google when I was having the same problem and I wanted to post the solution when I found it. Unfortunately it took a month to get my account validated, and I'm not certain I'm remembering exactly how I solved it.

I bought a program for the PC call Isobuster, and I believe that's what allowed me to recover the files from the DVD in a form that mpegstreamclip could read. (It definitely allowed me to save some irreplaceable video from a DVD that I could not finalize on the camera, well worth the $30 for the functional version). Very helpful program for anyone trying to rip video from a DVD. http://www.isobuster.com/; I have no financial interest in this product.
Nat Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion