Forum topic idea at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Trustee

Forum topic idea

Hey Chris, how about a "Making The Grade" forum for talk specifically about colour correction and grading techniques?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #2
Wrangler

Just my opinion but I think that is slicing the onion too thinly. We have SO many fora already and I don't think there'd be enough volume warrant parsing out this one specific topic. Keyword searching will find any threads on the topic in a couple seconds regardless of the forum. A good overview piece on the subject might be a worthwhile addition to the Articles section, though.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Keyword searching will find any threads on the topic in a couple seconds regardless of the forum.
True, but if you need to ask a question about the subject it is difficult to decide which forum is the most appropriate. This also means that a person may be less likely to get the response that they want because relevant people may not have visited that particular forum.

Grading could be a sub-forum of Film Look, but it isn't really about film look.
Old June 19th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I agree, if not simply because there does not seem to be a lot of information available on color grading. I think that a dedicated forum would help to create some more discussion.

Perhaps it isn't my place to say, being new here, but I like the idea.

Greg
Greg Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Major Player

At the surface, I like this idea but wouldn't this fall under NLE and plug-in forums already established, I mean someone grading in Vegas would do it differently than someone using FCP (colorista?) right? Maybe a general discussion article (like Pete recommended) would be better with links in the sticky section of each NLE fora to get the ball rolling...
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
I mean someone grading in Vegas would do it differently than someone using FCP (colorista?) right?
No, because three way colour wheels work the same. Getting things right in the scopes also works the same between NLE's. Curves work the same between NLE's too. In fact all major colour adjusting tools are common between different programs.
Old June 20th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #7
Major Player

I did not consider that. Thanks for the information.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion