Cam ==> firewire card ==> external USB drive, will that work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 24th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cam ==> firewire card ==> external USB disk, will that work?

I'd like to transfer (or capture, unsure of the correct term) numerous tapes on mini-dv to disk. I'm using a notebook which currently doesn't have nearly enough hd space, though it is fast enough (has gotten short clips on board OK).

I have space on an external drive in a usb enclosure. IIRC, the drive is 7200 rpm Seagate several years old, but the bottleneck is probably the USB 2.0 connection. Will this work, or will I have dropped frames and a Big Waste Of Time?

I'm using XP SP3 and Sony Movie Studio 6.

Last edited by Laurence Spiegel; June 25th, 2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Clarify disk vs flash drive, remove 2nd topic
Laurence Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #2
Wrangler

I've done that once or twice, but personally I'd capture to the local disk first then move the files to the USB drive. Just better to be safe than sorry.
Old June 25th, 2009, 05:41 AM   #3
Trustee

According to the specs USB 2.0 should easily be fast enough for a DV or HDV stream. This is what we do in the edit suites at University all the time because they lock the internal hard drive so we can only work from our own exteral disks. We've never had any problems with dropped frames while caputring in FCP straight to the External hard drives.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wiley View Post
According to the specs USB 2.0 should easily be fast enough for a DV or HDV stream. This is what we do in the edit suites at University all the time because they lock the internal hard drive so we can only work from our own exteral disks. We've never had any problems with dropped frames while caputring in FCP straight to the External hard drives.
Good, it's at least worth a try. Did you set the external drive to cache or no (iirc, My Computer | ext drive | properties | optimize for performance OR quick removal. Last option seems to mean "write cache on|off". I leave it off normally, as the chance/annoyance of corrupt files is more significant that a slight performance hit. For real-time data (the camera doesn't handshake and rewind the tape if the receiving end wants the data replayed) IDK if that will work.

DV -- 25 M bits/sec or 25 M bytes?
Laurence Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #5
Inner Circle

DV is 25 megabits per second.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I go from my Canon GL-2 through my laptop's firewire to an external usb2 drive (7200rpm).
I also edit on Vegas from that drive.

Zero problems.
Tim OBrien is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion