Trading stock footage? I need children running/playing... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 4th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Trading stock footage? I need children running/playing...

I'm comparing the costs of shooting a short scene (5-10 sec.) of children running and playing outside), as opposed to using stock footage. Doing it myself would cost me a half day of union scale, but none of the good clip sites I've looked at had exactly what I need (they all tend to be so... cinematographic).

I was wondering if anyone had what I want, or would be ready to trade footage? I need a wide shot of 3-4 kids (anywhere from 6 to 13 years old) playing in a street or back alley, in summer, sunlit. It's what someone looking out his window would see, although it doesn't have to be shot from his POV. HD resolution, PAL or NTSC. I would propose a Creative Commons license.

I'm in Montreal, if any of the landmarks interest you. Or let me know what specifically you might need.

Any ideas or advice?

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 01:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques E. Bouchard View Post
I'm comparing the costs of shooting a short scene (5-10 sec.) of children running and playing outside), as opposed to using stock footage. Doing it myself would cost me a half day of union scale, but none of the good clip sites I've looked at had exactly what I need (they all tend to be so... cinematographic).

I was wondering if anyone had what I want, or would be ready to trade footage? I need a wide shot of 3-4 kids (anywhere from 6 to 13 years old) playing in a street or back alley, in summer, sunlit. It's what someone looking out his window would see, although it doesn't have to be shot from his POV. HD resolution, PAL or NTSC. I would propose a Creative Commons license.

I'm in Montreal, if any of the landmarks interest you. Or let me know what specifically you might need.

Any ideas or advice?

J.

No advice other than to remind you that since it's kids involved - you'll need clear releases from each and every kids Parents/guardians in order to secure proper rights to the footage.

If it's kids in a public place surrounded by others - and you're not singling them out - then you *might* be OK under the "public space reasonable rights of privacy" exception.

But a specific scene of a few easily identifiable kids playing? I'd never risk that without ironclad rights secured.

As always - for proper legal advice - consult a properly qualified attorney.

Good luck.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
No advice other than to remind you that since it's kids involved - you'll need clear releases from each and every kids Parents/guardians in order to secure proper rights to the footage.
I can't be the one getting releases signed, otherwise I'm hiring actors and my production, being union, has to pay them all union minimums. It's to avoid this constraint that I was looking at stock footage for a 5 sec. cutaway shot.

That's why I'm proposing to simply acquire rights to the clip from the copyright owner. It'd be up to them to get all the releases signed to make sure they own those rights.

J.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion