How do I evaluate Saturation with scopes? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Trustee

How do I evaluate Saturation with scopes?

Is saturation strictly subjective or can I use scopes to adjust saturation? If so, how?
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM   #2

You need to look at an image with a vectorscope. The traditional vectorscope has small square targets that indicate where the 7 primary and secondary colors fall. For 601 images, the color targets represent 80% saturation. For 709 images, the targets should include 100% for Blue, red, cyan, and yellow. If you can't look at a color bar pattern with your vectorscope, keep in mind that the concentric circles on the vectorscope represent saturation levels.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Trustee

Thanks for responding Biil. Sometimes one color, maybe green, looks too saturated, but the vector doesn't really extend out past the markers. Is adjusting saturation mostly done by eye, except when it's 'out of bounds on the scope'?

I've been learning some basic color correction and understanding proper Saturation seems to be alluding me.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:14 PM   #4

The way I guage color balance, like one color is too strong, is to look at the center of the vectorscope. The big white "blob" should be pretty much centered on the central dot. This is an indication of the color balance of the shadows. To get an idea of the color balance in the highlights, ie the whites, look at the "RGB Parade". The peaks of each channel of RGB should be at about the same level. Adjust each channel independently to balance these out. Note: this ONLY works with white.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

With RGB parade in a waveform you can also spot possible oversaturation. Look for any one of the channels approaching or exceeding 100 IRE.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion