Is this laptop powerful enough? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 24th, 2009, 06:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Is this laptop powerful enough?

I'm not a computer expert, but am looking to run Adobe Ultra, which requires the following specifications:

* Intel Pentium 4 (1.4 GHz processor for DV; Pentium 4 3.4GHz processor for HDV), Intel Centrino, Intel Xeon (dual Intel Xeon 2.8GHz processors for HD); SSE2-enabled required for AMD systems
* Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Home Edition with SP2, Microsoft Vista Home Premium, Business, Enterprise, Ultimate (certified support for 32-bit editions only)
* Screen Resolution: 1280 x 1024 video display with 32-bit color adapter; Adobe-recommended graphics card for GPU-accelerated playback
* For SD GPU Keying: 64 MB AGP or PCI-Express graphics card with 3D acceleration (GeForce 5700, Radeon 9600 or better card recommended).
* For HD GPU Keying: 128 MB AGP or PCI-Express graphics card with 3D acceleration (GeForce 6600, Radeon 9800 or better card recommended).
* 1 GB of RAM for DV; 2 GB of RAM for HDV and HD
* 4 GB of available hard-disk space for installation
* Dedicated 7200RPM hard drive for DV and HDV editing; striped disk array storage (RAID 0) for HD, preferably SCSI disk subsystem
* Microsoft DirectX-compatible sound card
* Quick Time 7.1.2 required to use QuickTime features
* OHCI-compatible IEEE 1394 port for DV and HDV capture
* DVD-ROM drive for installation
* Internet or phone connection required for product activation

I have seen the following laptop, can someone click the 'tech specs' tab and let me know if it is powerful enough? I'll be storing video on an external hard disk, but can the laptop run the software?

GRADE A2 - Minor Cosmetic Damage - HP 550 - Celero - Laptops Direct

Thanks
James Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #2
Major Player

To run the software... sure.. to edit video.. I wouldn't consider it. It's not dual core, its low on cache and memory, it's 5400rpm hd is too slow for any sort of editing.. so I would not consider it personally. You'll want a core 2 duo, the fastest laptop cpu, and 4GB or more of memory, 7200rpm HD, firewire/usb2 ports at the very least.
Kevin Duffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #3
Major Player

James:

I know it gets confusing when buying computers and what to get etc,. I looked at your link and the computer you are looking at has a CELERON processor. This is a very slow processer for any application. (personal experience) So I am with Kevin, Definately want Duo Core or even better yet (and a whole lot more expensive) Quad core.

Happy Shoppping.
Old July 25th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Would this machine be better?

Currys - Shop for Entertainment Laptops - Acer 7735Z-424 T4200 Acer
James Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Trustee

Are you planning to work with SD or HD video? For SD, this laptop would be fine. For HD, I'm not sure there is a laptop out there that would seem fast.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #6
Trustee

If you're doing HDV, you want Quad Core. If AVCHD, you want i7. Full stop. Dual Core will make you full on barking for both HD formats.

That said, I have edited HDV on a 2GHz Core 2 Duo laptop with 2GB of RAM. It's doable, but it's rubbish.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Regular Crew

What about conversion?
AVCHD Converter - Convert AVCHD Video to AVI,MP4,FLV...: How to convert AVCHD Video to AVI,MP4 with AVCHD Video Converter?

Does this change the ball game entirely?
Old August 2nd, 2009, 04:23 AM   #8
Trustee

Does that change the game in respect to laptops being somewhat slow in editing HD video? No. The conversion process will also take longer on a a laptop. It is preferable to switch to an intermediate codec when dealing with long GOP formats but a laptop will still be somewhat slow when all things are considered. Regardless, it can be done but I would still recommend getting the fastest processor possible and preferably a quadcore.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion