DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Simple Web Authoring Software Suggestion Please (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/239712-simple-web-authoring-software-suggestion-please.html)

David Ruhland July 25th, 2009 03:52 AM

Simple Web Authoring Software Suggestion Please

Previously I did my website with Microsoft front page 2003. I liked the control and WYSIWYG format. I know nothing about HTML coding. Its my understanding that Frontpage will be going away soon!

I am in the process of building a new site and am looking for suggestions for a simple software solution suggestion.

I do host with godaddy, i really dont like the website tonite format they offer as i have not really figured out how to customize it and find thier table templates a bit combersome to use.

Anyone got a suggestion for me please? Im not looking to do anything real fancy, just a simple meat and potatoes program that will allow me to put some photos, embed Video from sites like Vimeo, and information. Password protection pages..(subweb) would also be nice too.

Ivan Snoeckx July 25th, 2009 06:34 AM

Hi David,

How about Microsoft SharePoint Designer? This is the follow up from FrontPage. Ideal for making a simple website.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sh...487631033.aspx

Taky Cheung July 25th, 2009 08:18 AM

You got it wrong, FrontPage is already GONE! heheh.. Microsoft replaces FP with ExpressionWeb.

A lot of designers like to use DreamWeaver.

David Towe July 25th, 2009 01:07 PM

Nvu is a great "Dream Weaver" like WYSIWYG editor that is free and open source. I have built many professional websites with it.

Ervin Farkas July 25th, 2009 02:14 PM

I don't know of any other authoring software that has built-in templates like FP had, but you can find thousands of them for free or cheap on the internet and customize them to your liking.

The best software is, as suggested, Dreamweaver. If you find it overwhelming, give yourself a few days and it will all come together. If you still feel it's over your head, then go to NVU, but beware, you will have to work a lot more to link pages together and other features DW comes with.

Of course there is always Wordpress (also tons of free templates available) or other content management systems (you can install them for free straight from your Godaddy hosting control panel.

John Peterson July 27th, 2009 05:57 AM

I use Web Easy Professional.

Web Easy Professional 7 | Easy Website Creation Software

Department stores and stores like BJs and Costco also carry it as well as the online vendors. I have seen it for as little as $29.

Like most software there are a few quirks with some operations, but for the most part it is easy to use and has lots of customizable templates.

John

Jim Snow July 27th, 2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Peterson (Post 1177199)
I use Web Easy Professional.

Web Easy Professional 7 | Easy Website Creation Software

Department stores and stores like BJs and Costco also carry it as well as the online vendors. I have seen it for as little as $29.

Like most software there are a few quirks with some operations, but for the most part it is easy to use and has lots of customizable templates.

John

Does Version 7 provide a way to incorporate Flash video in web pages?

John Peterson July 27th, 2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1177310)
Does Version 7 provide a way to incorporate Flash video in web pages?

Yes,

Both swf and flv.

John

Jim Snow July 27th, 2009 05:21 PM

Thanks John,

Looks like I am going to upgrade to Ver. 7. I used Ver. 6 before and liked it.

Tripp Woelfel July 27th, 2009 08:04 PM

I too have used FrontPage. Hated it, but it worked. Dreamweaver? Loved it but that was a dog's age ago.

I do know HTML a little but am wicked out of practice so I went with WordPress. Unless you want to create a complete custom look from scratch, WP is a great choice for ease of updating. That for me is key and worth the front-end setup and learning curve. It works wonderfully on Go Daddy. You can check it out at: Covered Bridge Productions.

Check out WP at: WordPress › Blog Tool and Publishing Platform. Themes give you lots of options but it's important to know what you want in your site before you pick a theme to make sure that it has the features you want. Flash is supported.

John Peterson July 29th, 2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1177442)
Thanks John,

Looks like I am going to upgrade to Ver. 7. I used Ver. 6 before and liked it.

Yeah, version 6 only did swf files, Version 7 does both swf and flv.

John

Thomas Chaput August 6th, 2009 04:15 PM

For those on the Mac platform RapidWeaver is easy to use and allows slide shows and video.

Tom

Roger Van Duyn August 6th, 2009 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel (Post 1177487)
I too have used FrontPage. Hated it, but it worked. Dreamweaver? Loved it but that was a dog's age ago.

I do know HTML a little but am wicked out of practice so I went with WordPress. Unless you want to create a complete custom look from scratch, WP is a great choice for ease of updating. That for me is key and worth the front-end setup and learning curve. It works wonderfully on Go Daddy. You can check it out at: Covered Bridge Productions.

Check out WP at: WordPress › Blog Tool and Publishing Platform. Themes give you lots of options but it's important to know what you want in your site before you pick a theme to make sure that it has the features you want. Flash is supported.

Your site looks great!

Tripp Woelfel August 7th, 2009 05:31 AM

Thank you Roger.