Simple Web Authoring Software Suggestion Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 25th, 2009, 03:52 AM   #1
Major Player

Simple Web Authoring Software Suggestion Please

Previously I did my website with Microsoft front page 2003. I liked the control and WYSIWYG format. I know nothing about HTML coding. Its my understanding that Frontpage will be going away soon!

I am in the process of building a new site and am looking for suggestions for a simple software solution suggestion.

I do host with godaddy, i really dont like the website tonite format they offer as i have not really figured out how to customize it and find thier table templates a bit combersome to use.

Anyone got a suggestion for me please? Im not looking to do anything real fancy, just a simple meat and potatoes program that will allow me to put some photos, embed Video from sites like Vimeo, and information. Password protection pages..(subweb) would also be nice too.
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi David,

How about Microsoft SharePoint Designer? This is the follow up from FrontPage. Ideal for making a simple website.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sh...487631033.aspx
Ivan Snoeckx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

You got it wrong, FrontPage is already GONE! heheh.. Microsoft replaces FP with ExpressionWeb.

A lot of designers like to use DreamWeaver.
Old July 25th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Tourist

Nvu is a great "Dream Weaver" like WYSIWYG editor that is free and open source. I have built many professional websites with it.
Old July 25th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I don't know of any other authoring software that has built-in templates like FP had, but you can find thousands of them for free or cheap on the internet and customize them to your liking.

The best software is, as suggested, Dreamweaver. If you find it overwhelming, give yourself a few days and it will all come together. If you still feel it's over your head, then go to NVU, but beware, you will have to work a lot more to link pages together and other features DW comes with.

Of course there is always Wordpress (also tons of free templates available) or other content management systems (you can install them for free straight from your Godaddy hosting control panel.
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:57 AM   #6
Major Player

I use Web Easy Professional.

Web Easy Professional 7 | Easy Website Creation Software

Department stores and stores like BJs and Costco also carry it as well as the online vendors. I have seen it for as little as $29.

Like most software there are a few quirks with some operations, but for the most part it is easy to use and has lots of customizable templates.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 11:34 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
I use Web Easy Professional.

Web Easy Professional 7 | Easy Website Creation Software

Department stores and stores like BJs and Costco also carry it as well as the online vendors. I have seen it for as little as $29.

Like most software there are a few quirks with some operations, but for the most part it is easy to use and has lots of customizable templates.

John
Does Version 7 provide a way to incorporate Flash video in web pages?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Does Version 7 provide a way to incorporate Flash video in web pages?
Yes,

Both swf and flv.

John
Old July 27th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #9
Trustee

Thanks John,

Looks like I am going to upgrade to Ver. 7. I used Ver. 6 before and liked it.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #10
Trustee

I too have used FrontPage. Hated it, but it worked. Dreamweaver? Loved it but that was a dog's age ago.

I do know HTML a little but am wicked out of practice so I went with WordPress. Unless you want to create a complete custom look from scratch, WP is a great choice for ease of updating. That for me is key and worth the front-end setup and learning curve. It works wonderfully on Go Daddy. You can check it out at: Covered Bridge Productions.

Check out WP at: WordPress › Blog Tool and Publishing Platform. Themes give you lots of options but it's important to know what you want in your site before you pick a theme to make sure that it has the features you want. Flash is supported.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 06:10 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Snow View Post
Thanks John,

Looks like I am going to upgrade to Ver. 7. I used Ver. 6 before and liked it.
Yeah, version 6 only did swf files, Version 7 does both swf and flv.

John
Old August 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #12
Tourist

For those on the Mac platform RapidWeaver is easy to use and allows slide shows and video.

Tom
Thomas Chaput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp Woelfel View Post
I too have used FrontPage. Hated it, but it worked. Dreamweaver? Loved it but that was a dog's age ago.

I do know HTML a little but am wicked out of practice so I went with WordPress. Unless you want to create a complete custom look from scratch, WP is a great choice for ease of updating. That for me is key and worth the front-end setup and learning curve. It works wonderfully on Go Daddy. You can check it out at: Covered Bridge Productions.

Check out WP at: WordPress › Blog Tool and Publishing Platform. Themes give you lots of options but it's important to know what you want in your site before you pick a theme to make sure that it has the features you want. Flash is supported.

Your site looks great!
Old August 7th, 2009, 05:31 AM   #14
Trustee

Thank you Roger.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion