claymation/stop motion - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 17th, 2002, 02:23 PM   #16
Air China Pilot

If you're going to have music but can't afford to have original music, I would recommend you get music for which the music notes are available. This can help you properly synch your movements. That is, if you can read music.
Keith Loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2002, 01:28 AM   #17
RED Code Chef

Perhaps Vegas Video has stop motion (or something similar)
too? I, personally, don't know because I've never used that
package. Perhaps there are some shareware or freeware
applications that can grab a frame from a incoming DV stream
as well?

I highly doubt Premiere is the only available thing for this, it
is, however, the only one I know about.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2002, 01:51 AM   #18
Slash Rules!

Someone else mentioned how to grab one frame at a time with Vegas Video, and I'll probably use his method.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 05:40 PM   #19
Major Player

Josh,

Are you using your XL1s to do animation, if so how is it going? If not what are you using to film the animation?
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 11:58 PM   #20
Slash Rules!

I'm working on it. I'm still building the models as we speak (well not right as we speak). I'm going to try. I'm afraid I'll screw up if I use an 8mm camera or something. If anyone has an efficient way to capture the footage and edit once recorded, let me know. My plan was to tape for a second for each image, in frame mode. As for capture and editing, I'm using Vegas Video 3, so if anyone knows a way to capture a single frame simply (other than just going through the tape and marking the in and out on the same frame) or how to edit down to one frame without physically grabbing each one second clip and shrinking it in the timeline, let me know.
Old July 19th, 2002, 06:00 AM   #21
Capt. Quirk

The XL1s has stop motion built in. Actually, its Time Lapse, but same thing in your case. You'll never be able to do it manually, it would be extremely frustrating. Read through the manual, and you'll find things much simpler:)
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 10:05 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I can't believe I just now discovered this thread! I do stop motion animation all of the time. I've done it with clay, real people, and other objects. To see an example of stop motion animation I have done with people check out this 8 meg Quicktime:

http://207.168.10.83/Submissions/Redifer/joeredhouse.mov

Or to check out a chalkboard animation I did a loooong time ago check out this 4 meg Quicktime:

http://207.168.10.83/Submissions/Redifer/thewar.mov

(Note: I usually do animation at a slightly higher framerate than these examples show).

Anyway, using the remote or even pressing the start and stop button on the XL1 itself while it is secure will give you about 1/2 second of footage. There is no way to only get two frames. But I recommend this method anyway as when you import your footage later, you can just pick 1 frame from each 1/2 second "set" of frames and then compile them together at whatever speed you choose. It is much easier to do than everyone is making it out to be, IMO. Good luck, and most of all have fun!!
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 03:33 PM   #23
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Joe Redifer : I can't believe I just now discovered this thread! I do stop motion animation all of the time. I've done it with clay, real people, and other objects. To see an example of stop motion animation I have done with people check out this 8 meg Quicktime:

http://207.168.10.83/Submissions/Redifer/joeredhouse.mov

Or to check out a chalkboard animation I did a loooong time ago check out this 4 meg Quicktime:

http://207.168.10.83/Submissions/Redifer/thewar.mov

(Note: I usually do animation at a slightly higher framerate than these examples show).

Anyway, using the remote or even pressing the start and stop button on the XL1 itself while it is secure will give you about 1/2 second of footage. There is no way to only get two frames. But I recommend this method anyway as when you import your footage later, you can just pick 1 frame from each 1/2 second "set" of frames and then compile them together at whatever speed you choose. It is much easier to do than everyone is making it out to be, IMO. Good luck, and most of all have fun!! -->>>

Joe,

Man I really liked that second animation. Being a HUGE fan of Joe Satriani, I of course dug the music. How long did it take you to produce that chalkboard animation movie? Also, what camera did you use to shot the animation?
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 03:49 PM   #24
Slash Rules!

When you say it has stop motion built in, you mean the interval recording function, right? I have not used it yet. I'll check it out.
Old July 19th, 2002, 08:40 PM   #25
Regular Crew

The second animation (chalkboard), called "The War" is also a personal favorite of mine. It was done on an analog Sony CCD-TR101 Hi8 video camera. It took 8 months to do, but only because I worked on it a couple times a week at most. I didn't have a whole lot of free time back then, and I was recovering from surgery on both of my shoulders during part of it, so drawing on a chalkboard that's hanging on the wall was not too pleasant for a good 8 weeks or so.
Joe Redifer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion