DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   how can I use FD lenses on a Canon Rebel EOS XS? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/240095-how-can-i-use-fd-lenses-canon-rebel-eos-xs.html)

David Delaney July 31st, 2009 06:23 PM

how can I use FD lenses on a Canon Rebel EOS XS?

Is there a way to use old FD lenses on a new DSLR like the Canon Rebel xs?

Bruce Foreman July 31st, 2009 08:24 PM

I believe there is an adapter ring that allows older Canon lenses to be used on EOS mount camera's. I've seen reference to people using FD lenses on the 5D MkII and the T1i bodies for manual control of aperture.

Do a Google search for "FD lens to EOS adapter" and see what it turns up. Also do the same search on ebay as that is where I believe most folks are getting these adapters.

David Delaney July 31st, 2009 10:12 PM

I saw some post about it, but it seemed to say that there was extra glass involved and loss of light (like 1.5 stops). Maybe I read it wrong?

Bill Engeler August 1st, 2009 12:30 AM

Hi -

Canon made an adapter for a short time in the 90's, but it involved glass, and as mentioned a big loss of light. It was also only usable on a small number of lenses, mostly longer L-series lenses (I think, but not positive about this). These are quite rare today. What is found on ebay and such is a very cheap adapter with a bogus Canon logo. I don't think you would be happy with the results.

David Delaney August 1st, 2009 08:43 AM

So I am better off buying EOS lenses as they stand, rather then trying to convert, huh? Have the EOS lenses come up in price lately? I thought a few years ago they were not so expensive...

Bruce Foreman August 1st, 2009 11:02 AM

David,

The cheap metal ring adapters with no glass are mainly used by folks with video capable DSLRs who are trying to get away from the fully auto settings in video mode. Using "adapted" older Canon, Nikon, Zeiss and other lenses the EOS camera CANNOT control the aperture or focus so the photographer can set whatever aperture they want for the specific "depth of field" desired and the camera then sets needed shutter and ISO.

If you just want to use older lenses so you don't have to buy similar EOS lenses, you won't be real happy with the way you have to work. You'll have to set aperture manually and focus manually, plus the adapter rings are not precisely calibrated for infinity focus. Many lenses will actually "back focus" past infinity so you can't count on the mechanical "stop" at infinity.

The current EF-S lenses are for the Canon cameras with the smaller size sensor, your XS fits in this category and these lenses are more compact as they were designed for this format. EF lenses, on the other hand, were primarily designed for the full 35mm size sensor cameras and are bigger because they have to cover a larger sensor area. EF lenses will fit and function on your XS.

Prices...Well, check B&H for that. I find them to be price competitive enough for places with integrity. B&H sets the "gold standard" for integrity in dealing with customers, that's where I shop for lenses for my T1i.

Tony Tibbetts August 1st, 2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Delaney (Post 1179434)
I saw some post about it, but it seemed to say that there was extra glass involved and loss of light (like 1.5 stops). Maybe I read it wrong?

There is extra glass involved and if you get the cheaper ones off ebay they tend to get very soft and diffused in the wider apertures. I never noticed a light loss.