DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Power-Tap? what is that? looking for a light. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/240180-power-tap-what-looking-light.html)

Arthur Abramov August 2nd, 2009 03:51 PM

Power-Tap? what is that? looking for a light.

Hey there, i'm looking for a light on the top of the camera XH-A1 , the thing is that i never experienced any mounted light so i don't really know how to judge about which could be better for me, i would need it shooting a wedding, one that i saw but i can't understand what it means "Power-Tap" is it like a hot shoe? on the top of the camera using cameras battery? i was looking at the store's catalog and i saw too many connecting types, i have a hard time understanding what they mean

# Power Tap (29)
# Cigarette
# 4-Pin XLR
# 5-Pin XLR
# NP-1
# BP-90
* Pag Lok
* 30v
* Mini Connector

could anyone translate these expressions.

Thanks. and sorry if this is the wrong forum or if its a repeated discussion , i just couldn't find anything like that.

Shaun Roemich August 2nd, 2009 04:00 PM

Power Tap is an Anton Bauer styled connector that looks kind of like a "D" with two pins in it. Many cameras that use Anton Bauer batteries have a supplied Power Tap on the mounting bracket for the battery. Sony broadcast cameras typically have a Power Tap as well.

Cigarette adaptors look like the cigarette lighter in a car: either the receptacle (power side) or a rounded "peg" style (light side).

4 pin XLR is a professional DC option that comes pretty much standard on high end battery belts and power supplied. It LOOKS like an XLR audio cable except with 4 pins instead of 3.

I've only ever seen 5 pin XLRs used as audio breakouts on Sony broadcast camera so I can't expand further on their use in DC power. (Or as connectors in a Clearcom system)

NP-1's are the old "chocolate bar" styled camera batteries that weighed about a pound and slid into a receiver on the back of early Betacams and U-Matic cameras and recorders. Cheap but generally unreliable unless great care is taken in their maintenance.

PAG Lock is a proprietary mount made by PAG.

30v is generally not used in video production any more.

Mini Connector is PROBABLY a "standard" DC power supply that uses a tube like plug with a central pin.

Shaun Roemich August 2nd, 2009 04:02 PM

Anton Bauer | PTE Power-Tap Male to Power-Tap Female | PTE | B&H

The above link is a Power Tap extension cable showing both male and female ends.

Shaun Roemich August 2nd, 2009 04:06 PM

In rereading your original post, I realize you're using an XH-A1, which, I believe, uses 7.2v batteries. All the connections you list (with the exception of 30v) are 12v power and won't be found on your camera. You should be looking at on camera lighting systems that either take their own rechargeable batteries or connect to a battery belt or other such DC power supply.

There are MANY ongoing discussions about on camera lights (especially LED lighting) on the DVI forums that may be of interest to you.

Start here: Photon Management - The Digital Video Information Network

Arthur Abramov August 3rd, 2009 11:14 AM

Thank you very much ! I'm spinning around 360 degrees trying to find my way for the most useful light for my camera, struggling my way :)
thank you for your help ! i'll try that link.