Canon A-1 Digital at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 3rd, 2004, 03:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon A-1 Digital

Hi, I'm having problems with my camera. While shooting the video starts jumping in the monitor. On playback it jumps too, so is that a head problem? Should I send in for repair or is the cam worth it? Thanks......

P.S. I'm liking the excuse to upgrade although money seems to be a problem......... imagine that!
Old April 4th, 2004, 07:42 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Terry,

I can't help with an answer, but I also have an A-1 and if you hear anything from Canon regarding repair costs or where to get it repaired, please post back. I haven't used mine for years, but it would be nice to have it in working order, although I'm not exactly sure what it would ever be used for. I suspect that the repair costs are more than what the camera is worth.
Old April 4th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Terry,

Consumer Hi-8 camcorders such as the A1 have an expected "shelf life" of perhaps seven to ten years. Although they can last even longer, problems usually occur around that time. Leaking capacitors are typical culprits, along with worn-out tape transports. In 2004, an A1 is way beyond seven years past its date of discontinuance and therefore is no longer repairable by factory service. You'll have to resort to a private camcorder repair facility, and to be honest, the cost of repair will easily surpass an A1's current value.

The very first Hi-8 camcorder I ever shot with was the Canon A1. There is no real equivalent from Canon in the DV format, but either the Optura 20 at under $800 or the Optura Xi at under $1400 would be good replacements. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 05:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys, well I was trying to stay hopefull, but I was kinda figuring it wouldnt be worth it. I really enjoyed it, almost like an old dog but I guess its time to move on. Were going to NAB next week so maby the new xl2 will be there to look at. Thanks again TL

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion