Action Figure 360 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > 360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR
Take a look *around.*

Old April 12th, 2004, 11:18 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Action Figure 360

Hey. Im going to be filming some 360 degree videos of some action figure and need some help. What should I use to rotate thefigure nice and smooth all the way around without it stoping at all ? Im using a Canon GL2. The picture seems "blah" and its hard to see details and its a bit dark. I have plenty of light in the room to.Any ideas ?

Thanks,
Cory
Cory Moorehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 01:10 PM   #2
Major Player

I would try an old record player. Just set it to 33rpm. If you need it to go slower, just put some resistance on the turntable with your finger, then it will slow down.
Old April 12th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Do you want the figure to rotate in the frame, or the camera to rotate around the figure?

If you want the figure to rotate, how about an LP turntable? Tape or rubber-cement his feet to the center of the record player and turn it on. If you need it slower, you could just give it a light spin with your hand instead of turning the player on.

Or find a lazy susan-type rotating serving dish from you local discount store (K-mart, etc).

Unless you need the background to rotate as well (having the camera rotate around the figure). Then I'm not so sure... Maybe some model train tracks laid in a circle? Put the cam on top of a model train (or create a platform with model train-sized wheels) and push the camera around the tracks?

(EDIT: Once again beaten to the punch while replying. D*mn my hunt-n-peck typing skills!)
John Britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #4
RED Code Chef

If you want to rotate around it you could get something similar
to a turntable but a bit larger and put your camera on it. Then
put the figure in the middle suspended by a couple of fishing
rope (?) which you shouldn't be able to see.

Otherwise you will need something with a circular track indeed...

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:55 PM   #5
Major Player

If you're final is interactive do still photos... I did something similar where you could switch out the limbs and heads/torsos in shockwave about 6 years ago dubbed the "star wars action figure maker" selling any old toys? email me...
Josh
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2004, 03:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

somewhat off-topic...

In a British mystery TV show, I saw an effect where the camera rotated with the principle subject (background was moving, foreground was stationary) - very dis-orienting effect - looks fun to try.

RJ

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > 360 Panoramic / Spherical + AR & VR