DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Assorted posts from 2001Q4 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/250-assorted-posts-2001q4.html)

Chris Hurd September 5th, 2001 10:50 PM

Assorted posts from 2001Q4

Howdy from Texas,

Has everybody heard about Sony's new MPEG-based MV format? Digital 8 has been discontinued (that's right, folks) and my guess is that this new MV will most likely also be short lived. I'm willing to bet it's strictly a consumer-only format, with no semi-professional gear planned. But of course, I love a healthy debate. Any takers?

John Locke October 2nd, 2001 05:00 AM

See Hollywood feature in progress

Hi everyone.

For all you movie buffs (and wannabe filmmakers like me) there's a site that is showing the step-by-step progress of a soon-to-be-released SciFi movie called "Radius." The URL is http://www.makingofmovie.com. You can also sign up for e-mail alerts when new production notes are posted, or new samples of soundtrack or special effects clips posted.

They're already in post-production...but still lots to see.

MTC FILMS October 12th, 2001 10:13 AM

Stand Alone Dvd Recorder

Anyone know anthiung about these STAND ALONE DVD RECORDER?

I am looking at the PANASONIC DMR-T2020
http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat..._01/01_82.html

And the PANASONIC DMR-E20
http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...MR- <br /> E20

Let me know if anyone have any info on these STAND ALONE DVD RECORDER.

Thank you
Mark Chiocchi

Rob Lohman October 23rd, 2001 04:45 AM

Assorted posts from 2001Q4 -- more

Hi everyone....

I read somewhere that NTSC DV uses
4:1:1 sampling and PAL uses 4:2:0
sampling.... Now I understand that the
it is nice to have twice the resolution
in the U (R-Y) sampling.... but what I
don't understand is how the signal can
get better if it uses zero (0) samples for
the V (B-Y) pixels....

Can someone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance

Adrian Douglas October 27th, 2001 09:52 AM

Location Preview

I need something to preview footage on location. Since alot of the stuff I shoot is surfing and snowboarding, it has to be portable and battery powered. I have a Dell Laptop that I use for my photo stuff, does anyone know of a way to preview from my XL1 using that. Will a PCTV card do the job. I don't want to capture it with the Dell, just use it as a monitor

Elmar Tewes October 30th, 2001 01:18 PM

Miro/Pinnacle DV 300 16/9 import

I own a Pinnacle DV 300 and Adobe Premiere 5.1c and i want to work with the XL-1 in 16/9 mode in the future. I tried to import a 16/9 clip (not from the XL-1) and tried to work with it in Premiere. But it doesn't seem to work - i get an error. I heard that the DV 300 together with Premiere 5.1 and 16/9 material doesn't work. But i also heard that it is supported together with Premiere 6. Does someone know if that is true ?

wefdenver October 30th, 2001 02:36 PM

Right

You're so right. The term blockbuster has to be redefined. A move that releases in 2000+ screens and makes $50 million in a weekend can no longer be considered a blockbluster. Why? Consider "Jaws", released in the 70's. It opened in around 450 screens and stayed on those screens a long time. Made millions over months. That was a blockbuster. An example of the 2000+ screen blockbuster illusion? "Pearl Harbor". It made millions the first weekend then died. Justifiably so. A stinker of a movie. Unfortunately, that is what the studios are hoping for. Make the money in the first weekend then whatever comes after is gravy. Too bad it is strictly quantity over quality. Thank goodness for the "art cinemas".

Alexander Ibrahim October 30th, 2001 09:39 PM

Spatial not frquency compression

4:2:0 denotes what I would call spatial sampling reduction as opposed to the frequency sampling reduction of 4:1:1.

Basically, color is sampled on every other line of a field.

For a better and more thorough explanation see:

http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#color_sampling

Alexander Ibrahim October 30th, 2001 09:50 PM

Field monitoring...

Well, if you get some type of input and install Premiere (IEEE card is good) you can start a capture, but don't actually capture.

First, turn off DV Device control. Then start a capture and make sure your input is set to DV. The capture preview window should show the video as you play it back.

I don't like that option at all though.

I would try to use a portable monitor. You can get some LCD monitors meant for hooking up to DV camera's, they typically run from the camera power. You can also get a small TV. I have a $40 5" B/W TV from radio shack. It takes D batteries. You can, budget permitting, get a pro field monitor. Many of these will run off of NP-1 or Anton Bauer batteries.

All of those are far better choices than the Laptop screen in terms of giving a real idea of what you shot.

YMMV

Rob Lohman November 2nd, 2001 11:22 AM

SP vs. LP

Hey everyone...

I've seen on a couple of camcorders (XL1 for example)
that you can record in single play or long play... What
every article I read does not tell me is what the dis-
advantage is in recording in long play... Every option
has it's disadvantages... so this one too :) What I
remember from the VHS days... long play cuts your
quality drastically... is this the same with DV?

Thanks for any response :)

Ian Austen November 2nd, 2001 01:08 PM

take a look at thes article it talks about what you are asking http://www.zenera.com/reference/dvtape.html

Wayde Gardner November 3rd, 2001 08:25 PM

The Right Track...

Rebel Without a Crew was the first book I read when I decided to transition from a screenwriter to a writer/director/producer. I got the usual negative BS... "you know how many Indies make it to the screen? You're crazy for even trying." You know what I said? Screw 'em. At least I'm doing more than just talking about it.

I'm making my "films" (dv) because it's what I do. I tell stories. And now I'm making movies because it's a natural progression. Like RR, I'm shooting everything. Short films. docs, interviews, anything to gain more experience. I've got a VX2000, a Mac, used Beachtek, a mic loaned to me by a friend strapped to a hockey stick for a boom and I'm dangerous. (Notice I didn't say good! That'll come)

The Japan thing? It freaked me out being a 6'4" 230lb white guy walking around Shinjuku, Ueno, etc. Train cars so packed you can literally lift your feet and not fall down. And EVERYONE has a DOCOMO phone, even the tiny kids! But one thing to beware of... the dreaded train station "box lunch"

I'm hoping to be in Tokyo in August as I'm trying to put together a documentary about a native Texan, Riley Lee, a grand master of the shakuhachi (bamboo flute)

BTW... the best sushi I've ever had was at 7am on a Tuesday morning at the Tskeje (sp?) fish market. Now THAT is some fresh fish!

Adrian Douglas November 3rd, 2001 08:39 PM

Well Wayne, if I'm still here then I'll come hold your hockey stick for you.

monkeyman November 4th, 2001 10:15 AM

Sennheiser Audio

Good Afternoon everyone!

I'm glad I found this forum for the XL1. I think I must be the only Irishman here ??

Can anyone help - I'm thinking of buying the Sennheiser ME66 ,ic with K6 adaptor connected to the MA100 XLR adaptor from Canon - can anyone advise ? Are there alternatives?

Also I'm looking to buy an LCD monitor - at leat 5 inches - what does everyone else use that I could purchase?

Many Thanks
Monkeyman

Chris Hurd November 4th, 2001 04:16 PM

Howdy from Texas,

I thought we had at least one or two others from Ireland... great to have you aboard!

The Sennheiser is a very popular shotgun mic. It should serve you well if you need this particular type of microphone.

For an LCD monitor, I use the VariZoom 5.6 inch, and there is a PAL version available. They have dealers in the UK. See www.varizoom.com and go to their monitors section. I need to put a write-up of this monitor on my site very soon. Hope this helps,