Im in a predicament (digital video vs. digital still) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old April 28th, 2004, 06:49 PM   #1
New Boot

Im in a predicament

Ok guys..
I dont know what do do.
Should i..
a)Wait and save another thousand up for the Gl2
or
b)Go ahead and buy the Digital rebel

I love taking pics and i can do it all the time.
But with the gl2 i would be able to film better than what i have with,and it would also be better for when i make my skating movies.
Evan Fullwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Digital still camera vs. digital video camera... it can be a tough decision if you can only afford one or the other. While you're saving up the money to buy both, you might consider a hybrid camera for the time being.

The 3 megapixel Canon PowerShot S1 IS offers an image-stabilized 10x optical zoom plus an amazing 30fps video mode at 640x480. Not quite up to the DV spec, but it has the best video mode currently available among digicams. Price is under $500.

Or you might consider the 2mp Canon Optura Xi DV camcorder. Stills from the Xi will print at 8x10 under the right conditions and it includes a pop-up flash, hot shoe for a better flash attachment, continuous photo mode and photos while recording video. Price is under $1300.

Either one of these hybrids represents a compromise, but they are two possible solutions to having digital stills plus digital video in one camera within your budget. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:21 PM   #3
Inner Circle

>The 3 megapixel Canon PowerShot S1 IS offers an image->stabilized 10x optical zoom plus an amazing 30fps video mode >at 640x480. Not quite up to the DV spec, but it has the best >video mode currently available among digicams. Price is under >$500.

Cool. I was looking at this camera, but the spec sheet on dpreview.com reads: 640x480, 15fps, max 30 sec.

Yeah, I'm really looking at 30fps video modes for my
next Camera. The new Sony DSC-F828, Nikon CoolPix8700, Minolta DiMAGE Z2 and some others also do
640x480 30 fps. The Sony came out on top with its streaming video modes (file size limited by flash card), but the image quality was dissed in all reviews .
Oh well. I guess I'll be waiting a while longer for a new digital
camera to replace my little Canon S40.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #4
Major Player

You can pretty well approximate having a good digital still camera using a standard 35mm SLR and a $100 flat bed scanner. Not as convenient as a digitial photo cam, but it'll work.

Meanwhile, if you don't have a video camera up to the specs of a GL2 or better, you're missing out on all sorts of direct, manual adjustments, improved color and clarity of a prosumer camera for you video.

Just a couple factors for you to consider as you make your choice for this time around. :)

Have fun.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:40 PM   #5
New Boot

I have a scanner,but i think that it would help me out ALOT better if i were to just go ahead and get the digital camera..
I take pictures CONSTANTLY,and i just dont have the money to get the film developed.
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:57 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Make some money and get both. :)
If you can make good money with either, then get that one. It's probably cheaper to get started with photography- you pay less for a tripod, sound gear, and lighting (you may not even need ANY of those...).

Another way of looking at it is that you can hone your skill with still images first and then move onto the moving image (and sound).

Yet another way of looking at this is going the route with the lower long term cost. I can't tell which that is though. Both kinds of cameras are going to lose value to obsolescence (sic?). Highdef and cheaper video cameras are going to be coming out, and cheaper/better digital cameras are going to come out. Lenses for still cameras don't lose much value though. The photography route means you don't have to pay as much for processing anymore.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 09:07 PM   #7
New Boot

i have the tripod,and a little bit of lighitng
Ive been into film and photography for about a year,ive just never had the money to get better cameras
Old April 29th, 2004, 01:35 PM   #8
Regular Crew

But what you don't say are what your requirements are for the digital stills....

Are you planning on doing 8 x 10 blow ups or severe crops? Do you just want stills for a web site or 4x6 prints?

If your answer is the former, then you need the digital still (but you don't really need a brand new Rebel, plenty of pretty good used digitals on Ebay).

If your still requirements are more modest, the GL2 can work for you. I've been impressed on what you can get by exporting a still from frame mode and playing with it in Photoshop.

It's not the resolution of my E10, but I don't have to carry both cameras around.

Hard question. Good luck.
Roger Golub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2004, 02:44 PM   #9
Skyonic New York

i own a rebel, one problem with it was even though the camera was only 999 i kept buying lenses till i was happy, it never ends...best bet buy what you would think you would get the most use out of...

keep in mind with a digital camera you can take almost endless amount of pictures, disk space is so cheap, cheaper then tape, no, but cheap enough to build a giant photo library, i started about 5 years ago with a sony dcs770 i'm up to 38,000+ pictures...

thats a lot of memories, every year we compile a years worth onto dvd and watch time go buy...

i love my digital world
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:51 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Regarding the PowerShot S1 IS

Received via private email:

"You claim the camera does 30 fps (I assume for a short amount of time). and someone else claims it can record 30 seconds for 15 fps. I'm wondering who is correct?"

I am. The DP Review spec sheet stating 640x480, 15fps, max 30 sec. is in serious error. One of the best features of the new S1 IS is its revolutionary movie mode which records VGA size (640x480) at 30 fps (not 15) up to the capacity of the card (not just 30 seconds). I should know not only because that's what the manufacturer's spec sheets say, but also because I have an S1 IS here in the house. This unlimited movie mode is even more amazing because you can change focal length (zoom) and change exposure during recording, which is a first in the digicam marketplace. Hope this helps,

Old May 11th, 2004, 06:06 AM   #11
RED Code Chef

Thanks for the clarification on this Chris. I do assume you need
those high-speed memory cards for this to work? Sounds quite
interesting. Does it store it as seperate JPEG's?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:28 AM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

High-speed CG cards are indeed a better choice for the S1 IS. Also, a high-capacity card is a must for the 30fps VGA movie mode. A 256mb CF card will barely hold two minutes of video. The files are motion-JPEG, encoded in the .AVI format.

Old May 11th, 2004, 08:15 AM   #13
Warden

Have you tried Microdrives as a storage device? I would guess they are too slow. But the 4GB drives would give you around 30 minutes of storage.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 08:23 AM   #14
Obstreperous Rex

The S1 IS has a CF Type 2 slot to accept microdrives, but I can't afford those, so I haven't tried 'em!

Old May 11th, 2004, 05:26 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Sample S1 IS clips posted here.

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion