DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   ND filter or UC filter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/25299-nd-filter-uc-filter.html)

Glenn Gipson April 29th, 2004 07:35 AM

ND filter or UC filter

I’m going to be shooting out in the woods (and in some fields) on bright sunny days, so which filter should I use to control the exposure latitude? Neutral Density Filters? Or Ultra Contrast Filters? Which filter will best keep the exposure within my camera’s limited dynamic range? Thanks in advance!

Norm Couture April 29th, 2004 12:51 PM

Glenn,

I'm not familiar with the Ultra Contrast filters, but I'd give it a try...
A polarizer filter also cuts a little light and helps color rendition.

But one thing is sure: for good footage in the woods, turn sharpness ("details") down if you can. (What camera are you using?)
Thousands of small patches of light on thousands of tree leaves and rocks can build up a pretty busy picture if you leave any obvious edge enhancement on. And it's hard to correct in post.

Bill Pryor April 29th, 2004 01:26 PM

The ND filter won't help with latitude. All it does is cut down on light coming through the lens, so you have to open up more. You camera would have one or two built-in ND filters, but sometimes you may use another one so you can shoot wider open when that's desireable. The ultra contrast may help a bit.

Glenn Gipson April 29th, 2004 01:39 PM

>>(What camera are you using?)<<

I'm going to decide when I get my money, but it will be under 3,000.00

Glenn Chan April 29th, 2004 04:17 PM

A polarizer can knock down the contrast of the sky versus everything else.

Rob Belics April 29th, 2004 05:33 PM

The ultracontrast filters may not make much improvement outside in bright sun. They shouldn't be considered replacements for appropriate fill but they may be adequate if you play with the black level some.

Polarizers don't reduce contrast, they eliminate reflections.

ND filters, effectively, reduce overall brightness but do nothing for latitude. You might consider graded NDs for the sky though.

Norm Couture April 30th, 2004 08:41 AM

Rob,

As Glenn said, on a sunny day, with the correct angle, the polarizer can transform your bright sky into a glorious dark blue, which allows you to open a little more for better exposure of the ground.
In a way, it helps with latitude.

Also, if you want the iris at a greater aperture to preserve sharpness, and your ND filter is not enough, instead of stacking more glass in front of your lens, you can select a higher shutter speed, such as 1/125 or 1/250.

Those faster shutter speeds are not only for golf lessons.

Rob Belics April 30th, 2004 09:13 AM

If he opens up for the ground then he is still brightening up the sky so it is no help for latitude.

Glenn Gipson April 30th, 2004 09:49 AM

So it seems the truly good solution would be to either A. introduce fill in the dark areas, or B. find an area in the woods where the shade evens out the latitude. Am I off here?

Rob Belics April 30th, 2004 10:25 AM

That is correct.