DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Recording Video... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/2557-recording-video.html)

jumbalijumbali June 28th, 2002 04:10 PM

Recording Video...

I'm interested in putting together a video training series for the computer. I'd like to record what I'm doing onscreen while taping myself with a GL1 simultaneously.

I've considered looping the video into a DV deck for recording, but have heard that the DV "format" doesn't support vector shapes well, and things start to look a bit fuzzy.

Any suggestions on how to record what is going on on-screen without any loss of quality?

Ben

K. Forman June 28th, 2002 04:34 PM

I don't remember if the GL has clearscan or not, but recording shouldn't be a problem. Just watch the glare off the monitor.
Keith

jumbalijumbali June 28th, 2002 05:17 PM

But...

I want to record myself simultaneously with the camera and don't want to worry about my head getting in the way...

Joe Redifer June 28th, 2002 06:11 PM

Well obviously you are going to need two recording decks of some sort, the GL1 being one of them. If your video card supports "video mirroring" then you can output an NTSC video signal via composite or S-Video to the other recording deck simultaneously. Recording to another DV deck or camera would be fine. If your card does not have an s-video jack on it (or composite) I recommend getting an ATI 7500, they are pretty cheap and easy to install, you only have to update the motherboard software, install drivers, configure it. Sure it takes forever, but for Windows hardware/software it is pretty painless compared to everythnig else. If you are using a Mac it may already support video mirroring, but if it doesn't I don't know if you can get another card locally... you can probably find a good card if you look online, though. Good luck.

jumbalijumbali June 28th, 2002 06:18 PM

Ok...

Joe, I've thought of that too, but like I mentioned, the DV compression algorithm doesn't do well with screen graphics. DV compression is optimized for humans and such, similar to JPG.

So it would appear that I need to somehow record the screen in another format and be able to bring it into my Premiere project and mix it in with the DV I record of myself.

Ben

Joe Redifer June 29th, 2002 02:22 AM

Well you can use another format if you wish, but I have taped videogame graphics from NTSC game systems many times, new and old systems (with simple graphics) and the result is fine. You have to look REAL close to see any artifacts, and it's always on something that is solid red in color. So long as you don't have solid red objects all over your screen, it'll be fine in my opinion. Give it a try! Just be sure to lower your screen resolution so your icons don't look hideously small on the TV monitor and so that text is readable.