IEEE 1394: How Does it Work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 5th, 2004, 09:17 AM   #1
New Boot

IEEE 1394: How Does it Work?

When a DV camcorder is plugged into a firewire port, how does it install the device? I plug an RCA camcorder into my computer and it appears under Imaging Devices in Device Manager. But then when I install an OCHI compliant JVC GR-DV800, I get a popup recognizing the camcorder, but it can't find the software to install it. So I get a yellow question mark and an entry that says "JVC GR-DV800." And of course it wouldn't work.

My question is why? I added a PCI firewire card with a Texas Instruments chipset and disabled my onboard firewire. I deleted the JVC from my Device Manager and plugged the camcorder in again, hitting play (yes, my power cord was plugged in). Same thing happened. Recognition. Looking for software. Failure to find it, installing it under a yellow question mark.

JVC tech support said, "Oh, you have to use a Pinnacle, Belkin or Orange Micro. We've tested all three and they all work." So I went out and bought a Belkin, installed it last night and, to make a long story short, no change.

The JVC is supposed to work with any OCHI compliant firewire port, yet there does seem to be some installation software involved -- software that's not there.

Has anyone had this problem with any camcorder? Could this be a defective unit? The JVC people say it's the fault of the firewire card manufacturer, but I've tried three different cards and all three react the same way.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

John
John Iler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:06 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Need to know more about your computer, specifically what operating system you're using; how much RAM, etc., as much detail as possible please.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #3
New Boot

I have an AMD 2500+, 1 gig of memory, an Asus A78NX Deluxe motherboard (2.0), onboard firewire. Operating system is Windows XP Profession. I disabled the onboard firewire and installed a PCI card with a Texas Instruments chipset. When that rendered the same results, I bought a Belkin 3-port firewire card, which the JVC people guaranteed would work.

It didn't. Same results.

My RCA camcorder installs fine. It's the JVC that's giving me fits.

Thanks!

John
John Iler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:09 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Can you be a bit more specific in regards to "installing it under a
yellow question mark" please? Under which section (give the
name please) is the device located. When you go through the
device's properties, what problems does Windows tell you about
in regards to the device?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #5
Wrangler

More than likely, XP simply doesn't have a driver for your camera. Go over to the JVC website. They should have it as a free download. Once the software is installed, your computer should recognize your camera. If it doesn't, uninstall the camera in device manager (right click, select uninstall -- _not_ disable), plug the camera back in. XP will give you a "new hardware discovered" box. Click next each time and it will automatically install the correct driver.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:40 AM   #6
New Boot

I solved the problem by reinstalling Windows. Had to endure 44 updates, but when it was finished, the camera installed without a hitch. I then discovered my USB ports wouldn't work, even though Device Manager showed no problems.

So I removed them through Device Manager, then did a rescan. It reinstalled the USB ports and everything works.

Thanks for the feedback, though.

John
John Iler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion