Can you suggest a good quality inexpensive 3rd miniDV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 6th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #1
Major Player

Can you suggest a good quality inexpensive 3rd miniDV

I know that good quality and inexpensive shouldn't necessarily be used in the same sentence but that's precisely what I need.

I've been planning on buying an el-cheapo third minDV to use mainly as the deck at my editing machine for pulling tapes but it makes more sense to throw a hundred or two extra at this and have a camera that could be use for a third shot camera for the live concerts that I'm recording.

So... sound isn't all that important on this camera as I'll have soundboard audio feeding into my GL1 and a good quality mic feeding my GL2. What I'm looking for is a good video quality single CCD miniDV with some configurability as I shoot at indoor venues and outdoors at night sometime.

It would be nice to not have a bottom loading tape since tape changes need to be fairly quick and this camera will be mounted on a tripod and pretty much left alone until tape change time.

I'm hoping to stick around the $400 mark. I'm looking at JVCs right now but don't find many reviews out there. Can any of you make suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin Kimmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #2
Contributor

I think Panasonic has the market cornered in that low price range. You seem to get more for the money with theirs, and some used to have a 1/4" chip, as opposed to the 1/6" than many now have. I don't remember the numbers, but check out B&H.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2004, 06:32 PM   #3
Wrangler

Walmart was selling the Sharp MiniDV Viewcams for $299. Bought one and used it as a capture deck.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 01:56 AM   #4
Trustee

Panny PV-DV53. Manual exposure control. Good-sized
chip/low pixel count yields best low-light reach under $800 to $1000. Outdoors, in daylight, cuts
well with a VX2000, requiring very minimal color correction.
Sharpness not far off VX, either. Firewire out.
Dave Largent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 03:11 AM   #5
Tourist

sorry. out of topic...

Sorry for getting out of topic abit...but i was wondering what's the different between using a deck player and a minidv cam as a deck player? Is there only the price different?
Situ Terong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:19 AM   #6
Outer Circle

The cheapest miniDV deck is more money than the cheapest miniDV cam used as a deck.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion