Keeping a white balance at dusk? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 29th, 2002, 06:14 PM   #1
Capt. Quirk

Keeping a white balance at dusk?

Hello all,
Here's another question for you more-knowledgeable folks:
Say you are shooting an event at dusk. As the light changes, so would the color temp, right?

If you do your white balance, how do you keep the changing light from messing with you? I mean, you can't always pause the event to redo the white balance, and even if you set your exposure and lock it, the light conditions will be constantly changing until full dark.
Thanks,
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2002, 07:07 PM   #2
Warden

There are times for auto WB and there are times for manual WB. If unsure of the rapidly changing WB at dusk (or sunrise) I would try the auto setting. Your correct, pausing the event to re-WB, is impossible. For the nature work I do, I quit WB before dusk. People seem to prefer the slightly warm tones as the sun sets. I have also found that the warm tones are easier to correct in post if neutral tones are desired. The blue tones are more difficult to correct and people are willing to accept slightly warm tones.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2002, 07:11 PM   #3
Capt. Quirk

Hey JT,
That sounds pretty reasonable to me. I will be using an XL1 and a GL1, will there be much variation between the two with the auto setting?

I will also be shooting a stage with various lights during a concert. How is this going to change things?
Thanks again,
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2002, 07:20 PM   #4
Warden

I haven't shot a GL in a coupl of years so, it's hard for me so say. I think Ken and The AZ Sportsman shoot both. AZ has probably shot them at dusk before too.

Some companies used to match cameras so they would produce video as similar to each other as possible. You could try calling Canon and see if they would match your cameras.

Stage and theatrical lighting is very difficult because of the rapidly changing WB in many scenes. If the WB only changes once or twice you can preset the WB with the XL1s. Get to the event early for a rehearsal or arrange it ahead of time and white balance several scenes and put them in memory for use during the show.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2002, 07:30 PM   #5
Capt. Quirk

That would be my idea, but its not going to happen. I'll have a hard enough time getting in, due to hightened security. Not to mention, I'll be going from dusk to dark. It just keeps building, doesn't it? He he he...

I think I'll actually have an easier go with the second act, because it will be dark. But, they are dark skinned, and I'll have to be sure to get clear footage and good contrast, even in the darkened setting.
Keith
K. Forman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion