DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Can not make a decision: VX2000 or XM2? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/25714-can-not-make-decision-vx2000-xm2.html)

Prech Marton May 8th, 2004 12:06 PM

Can not make a decision: VX2000 or XM2?

The picture quality is the most important thing!
Nature, wildlife videos, sunsets, i want reach colors, high details.

Which cam is for me? Which one do you prefer?

Gerald Yuvallos May 8th, 2004 01:08 PM

Having tested both, I'd vote for the GL2. For nature and wildlife shots! The GL2's 20x zoom is more usefull than the low light performance of the VX2000... the GL2 also has a wider angle at its "widest" zoom. Picture quality is almost the same. The GL2 however produces a softer image.

Bill Pryor May 9th, 2004 07:45 PM

I'd go for the VX2000 (now the 2100) because of the 1/3" chips, which will give you a sharper picture and better quality in the details. If you need a longer lens, you can buy a 2X telephoto adapter. The GL2 (XM2 in PAL-land) is the best 1/4" chip camera available, in my opinion, but isn't a match for the bigger chips of the VX2100, XL1, etc.

Joe Lloyd May 9th, 2004 08:11 PM

Heh I'd go for the XM2, but only because I have one for sale! No seriously though both are great cameras it all comes down to preference. Go to a store and hold both and see which one feels better

Frank Granovski May 10th, 2004 04:42 AM

Quote:

Go to a store and hold both and see which one feels better
That would be the GL2/XM2.
Quote:

OK, Sony's CCDs are bigger, but Canon's lenses are better.
Yes, bigger, but Canon's lens better? I'm sure they are both equally as good.

Perhaps go with the one that is cheaper. Keep in mind that if you go the other way, there's no end. They'll always be something better, if not right away, wait for newer models.

Have you considered a Pana DVC30?

Joe Gioielli May 10th, 2004 09:47 AM

Just thought I'd add my thoughts.

There is no such thing as a perfect camera. Most of the 3 ccd cameras are great and you won't go wrong either way.

I have the vx2000 and I'm very happy with it. Mine has undergone a fair amount of abuse with no ill effects. I am very happy with the picture quality, even in low light.

One of the things I really love about the vx is that it is very easy to use. There is no point getting a good camera if you are going to leave it on "auto." The vx is very easy to learn. The instruction manual is very easy to understand.

I think you will be happy with it.

Gerald Yuvallos May 10th, 2004 11:31 AM

oh since you'll be spending more time outdoors and possibly shoot handheld on most occasions, the GL2 is a bit compact and lighter than the VX2000... not only that, the GL2's weight is better balanced when used handheld.

with regards to the controls, I give it to the GL2 hands down. the locations of almost all the buttons are at the right places plus you get a zoom and record button on the handle. the VX2000 does have a record button near the handle but it is impossible to use it without significantly shaking your camera. the VX2000's remote control system has a big plus though since it has sensors in the front and back whilst the GL2 only has a remote sensor in front.

to make your choice easier, go to your nearest dealer and get a feel of both units. :)

Prech Marton May 10th, 2004 12:24 PM

Thank you guys!

I want to make a relaxing production in dvd format.
Most shoot will be not handheld, instead i have a manfrotto monopod. Optical stabilization work fine, i hope. When should i switch this off? Never?

"go to your nearest dealer and get a feel of both units. "

Yeah, but here in Hungary this isn't a possible way :(
I can order a camera, and when it arrives i pay.
Get a feel? Not in the dealer in this camera price range :(

A new question:
vx2000 has a really cool info lithium battery.
with canon's largest battery there is just a little 4 or 5 segment battery indicator.
If just 1 segment is lit, then i don't know how many capacity is left? 1 hour or 2 minute? Any idea?

Bill Pryor May 10th, 2004 12:51 PM

About optical stabilization--Turn it OFF when you're using a tripod. The stabilizer will give you a strange effect if you make a move while on a tripod.

Prech Marton May 10th, 2004 12:59 PM

Uhh,
i've read, electronic stabilization has negative effect to pictue quality and optical has no effect to picture quality.

If i have a triod (steady) and an optical stabilization (steady),
then steady * steady is NOT super steady?

Bill Pryor May 10th, 2004 01:02 PM

I think all the 1/3" chip cameras have optical stabilization.

Prech Marton May 10th, 2004 01:08 PM

Yeah, and the better 1/3 chipper :)

But what would you say with this?
(i just can't understand why turn it off, if i have a tripod)

Bill Pryor May 10th, 2004 01:14 PM

Buy it, try it on a tripod with stabilizer on, and you'll see what I mean. It introduces some strange overlapping blurriness to the image if you shoot with it on a tripod and try to make a move. T

Yohann Kouam May 10th, 2004 01:15 PM

the xm-2 has optical stabilization as well

Mike Rehmus May 10th, 2004 01:15 PM

You don't have to turn if off if you leave the camera locked down but if you move the camera while on the tripod, the SS can cause an artifact when you start and stop a pan or tilt.