Cam advice...one more time... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 8th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #1
New Boot

Cam advice...one more time...

Greetings all...

Been lurking and reading threads trying to find the mini-dv camera that makes sense for me.

I want light and small, top quality results in low light, and a camera that will mesh with my documentary still work (a camera that will handle like a 35mm Leica). I've come to the conclusion that the GL2 is too big and maybe I should look at the JVC HD-10 or even look at a high end one-chip camera. I am working on a documentary and would love it if the final product should be close-to or at broadcast quality...without carrying a ton of stuff. Where are the compromises? What should I be looking at?

What are the thoughts here about this?

With thanks to all!

Michael Hintlian

to see work: http://www.hintlian.com
Michael Hintlian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Any Sony main dv camera will give you a sharp pic and decent low light. There is a Panasonic 3ccd model available that is very small. But in low light it struggles. Your gonna need a 3ccd medel realy if you want good pics in low light. Sony vx2000 is v good here, but bigger and more xpensive. For size you cannot wack the Canon xm2. It is small enough to fit in a laptop case, has excellent features, excellent pic quality, is lighter and smaller than the vx2000 with a bigger zoom. If your gonna do it, do it properly!
Old May 9th, 2004, 12:52 AM   #3
Major Player

You want a combination of features that is difficult to come by in a good camcorder. Three CCDs is a must. Good audio is a must. Smaller than a GL2? There is the Sony trv950, or the PDX10, though they aren't exactly great in low light. The PDX is a fine little camera, with XLR audio. The Panasonic DVC30 should definitely be looked into.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:02 AM   #4
Major Player

Also, the Panasonic DVC80, which has been discontinued, has pro features that you will have add as extras on most cams. It has 1/3 inch CCDs and manual mechanically linked zoom/focus, among a host of other things. It may not be as sveldt as a Leica, but it has the lens ;-).
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #5
Wrangler

Or my all-time small camera favorite, the Sony 900. About $1200 or so used and in good shape. Better than almost anything other than the Sony 2000/2100 & 150/170 cameras in low light and smaller than many 1-chip amateur cameras.
Old May 9th, 2004, 01:34 PM   #6
Wrangler

For what it's worth, I went through a similar search process last year. I agree with Mike -- if you can find a low-hours TRV-900, grab it. The TRV950/PDX10 have miserable low-light performance by comparison. I finally settled on a VX2000 which, while a little bigger and heavier than I liked, produces pristine video with stunning low-light performance.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion