Airplane travel, argh! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 24th, 2004, 01:55 AM   #31
Regular Crew

the PortaBrace bag for the XL1s fits perfectly into Southwest Airlines overhead compartments. no worries.
Matthew Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2004, 08:17 AM   #32
Wrangler

Sure. It fits into LOTS of planes. Just not the crappy ********* ******* that JetsGo, a Canadian budget airline uses.
Remember that airlines use many different aircraft, so you can't judge always based on the airline. I've never had a problem on a Boeing or Airbus plane. Although on one of the smaller Airbus' (I can't remember all their models), I had to hammer my bag into the compartment with my fist. It still went.
Old June 19th, 2004, 07:29 AM   #33
Regular Crew

I have found that when I absolutely MUST fly, removing the lens, viewfinder, mattebox, etc, allows me to pack my XL1S into a much smaller padded bag that will easily fit under my seat. I don't trust overhead compartments since things will go Bump in the night when you hit turbulence...

And whenever I am required to prove that my equipment works, I quickly plug in the viewfinder (or LCD) and just playback a pre-recorded (x-rated) tape via the VCR function. This usually works great with female airport security but it can back-fire if it's a guy. He might want to watch the entire tape and you'll miss your connection.

On long flights it can be a diversion too if you bring enough batteries... [g]

== Ed ==
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:12 AM   #34
Wrangler

I had a portable Sony Playstation PSONE with battery and LCD monitor with me on one flight. The security guards were all in their 20's and we VERY interested in seeing it power up, and play. :)
Old June 21st, 2004, 11:37 AM   #35
Regular Crew

I have a KATA CCC-1 bag that I like except that my XL1S doesn't really fit very well. The bulging side that is meant to accomodate the viewfinder doesn't line up properly with the MA-200 adapter installed. So, I end up removing the viewfinder/mic whenever I use the KATA bag...

It is also so large that it wouldn't fit in an overhead compartment or under a seat... Maybe I could buy a second ticket and just strap it in? Or is that against airline regs too? [g]

I just bought a Pelican 1660 to house my XL1S with its MA-200 and mattebox, etc. I haven't used the case yet because I nearly got a hernia just pulling it out of the box it was shipped in (weighs about 45 pounds without anything in it). But, it sure is big and strong!

When mounted in my Hummer it should do a great job of protecting my fragile equipment... But, I'd hate to even think about flying anywhere with it though... Maybe it's time to hire an assistant with a strong back???

== Ed ==
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion