HDTV - how come panny and sony did SD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old May 25th, 2004, 07:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDTV - how come panny and sony did SD?

Hey folks; Just a general question I have that is bugging me.

If broadcast is rapidly moving to HDTV (at least that's what they keep telling us) and every independent is / or should be (again according to the popular opinion) scrambling to get on board, why did Panny and Sony just release/announce tapeless cameras that are SD?
Is it just me? Did I miss something in the specs / description?

I would think the two biggest braodcast camera makers would have come out with something for NTSC HD future needs.

Anybody have any info out there about that or am I twisting my brain for nothing?
Aaron J.H. Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #2
Wrangler

They know that popular HD is a long way off. The consumer equipment is expensive and there is very little programming available right now.

The stations do not have to switch to HD, they have to switch to Digital.
Old May 26th, 2004, 02:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Mike;

But I am just curious. I've got SD (the really nice Panny DVC - 80) but keep hearing I am going to have to upgrade to HD to be competitive in the new order.

But then I see Panny/Sony come out with very nicely priced SD tapeless cameras (I kinda like the idea of Sony over Panny but that is beside the point) that is in the same price range (20k) JVC is talking about offering their HD cam built around the GY-5000. I figured to just wait for the JVC then I looked into the Sony and tapeless sounds like a real good ideal.

I know both Sony and Panny have HD cams over 60k which makes their new, lower priced SD cams all the more perplexing.

And I thought the switch had to be HD not just digital. If so, that makes the new tapeless SD cams even more attractive.

Really appreciate the feedback.
Aaron J.H. Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion