DV 852 and observation - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 7th, 2004, 09:03 AM   #16
Major Player

Ben,
all I can suggest is that you try some other cams out. Borrow a friend's. Take a tape to best buy-or whatever you have up there in bc- make some shots. As for my cam, I doubt that I go a day without using it, or looking at stuff I've shot, and I believe me, after some of the dropout/blockiness problems I had in the early days, I really do LOOK at my video. I've seen some stuff that doesn't look to great, but nothing like what you're talking about.

Two other points: One sales rep/service technichian is not what I would call a scientific sample. Even two, especially if they work in the same facility, would seem questionable to me. Take a look around on these boards, you will find differences on opinion on just about everything- sometimes between two knowledgable people- for instance there is a faction of users who swear that you can change tape brands without worrying about clogging your heads- Some of these guys obviously know way more than I do- but I've changed tape brands without a cleaning in between, and I'll never, ever do it again. My suggestion is to try another service facility- or go to your local camera store and see if they have a service department, talk to the technician if you can, he/she may have some idea of how to help you.

And finally, is it possible the problem is not your cam, but something happening during capture, or in your NLE? If you have been downloading your video onto the same computer and watching it on the same monitor/tv every time, I would try some other display and see if you still have the problem.

I sympathize with what your going through, I went through a very similar period when I first got started. I was certain my cam was defective. Certain. I was dead wrong.

one further word of advice. You seem to be defeted already, don't give in to that. Video is an extremely challanging hobby/artform. It takes everybody a while to find their stride. Assume that there is a fix, or at the very least a solid answer, and don't give up until you find it.

No surrender, no defeat.

Best of luck
Michael
" When some wild-eyed, eight foot tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head against a bar room wall, and looks you crooked in the eye, and he asks you if you've payed your dues, well, you just stare that big suker right back in the eye, and you remember what old Jack Burton always says at a time like that, 'Have you paid your dues, Jack? Yes sir, the check is in the mail."
Michael Gibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Michael for the advice. Based on your camcorder experiences, I am convinced the Panasonic video repairman is not giving me a good answer.

A few months ago I had made some rounds to other camera stores and watched my video on TVs in stores. I'm now more knowledgable in what to compare. I'll have to pull out all the stops this time and beg people for advice, do more comparisons, make tape samples etc.

I'm not watching the video on my computer. I tried that and my LCD screen is too slow. So I'm watching strait from tape to TV. I've been using the AV OUT cord, but I want see if going out with Firewire to a high end DVD unit and then TV will make a difference.
Ben Wiens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion