DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   It all boils down to this! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/26811-all-boils-down.html)

Kirk Sides May 31st, 2004 07:40 AM

It all boils down to this!

Thanks to all that replied to my earlier posting. I have come to this conclusion.

My shooting will consist of shooting primarily the 5 second clips that you see on the evening news.

Most important to me are image quality and audio quality. The PDX10 excels at both, but it seems that the PDX10 really shines in 16:9 and DVCAM.

The Pano DVC80 excels at both but does not do 16:9 or DVCAM

The question is:

1) As a freelance spot news
photojournalist, do I need 16:9 and DVCAM? Are these features really important and will I miss them if I go with the DVC80?

2) Is it goofy to get a PDX10 and only shoot 4:3. I like the price and Sony quality. Are there any other field photographers out there? Are customers wanting/expecting 16:9?

Thanks folks?
Kirk

Chris Hurd May 31st, 2004 08:04 AM

I'm unaware of any news affiliates in Texas who insist that video submitted by independant stringers be submitted in 16:9 format. To this date I've only ever seen 4:3.

Nor should the DV vs. DVCAM issue matter very much; as the two formats are exactly identical in image quality. An affiliate will accept video submitted on VHS-C if the content is compelling enough.

The PDX10 is constantly used in a news stringer capaqcity, however, your own choice of camcorder should be made primarily from an ergonomics perspective. Between the PDX10 and the DVC80, which feels most comfortable in your hands, most intuitive to use, most "familiar" in your grip? That's the one you'll want; the one in which using it feels like second nature.

This factor carries greater importance than 16:9, which is a currently non-issue in news gathering, or DV vs. DVCAM, also a non-issue at the stringer level since there's no difference in video quality. Many affiliates shoot their news in DVCPro anyway. Whatever digital format you submit, they'll bump it to the format they use, DVCAM or DVCPro, or Beta SP even, no big deal. Pick the cam that feels right in your hands. Hope this helps,

Kirk Sides May 31st, 2004 08:36 AM

What a great response!

Thanks for your resonse it was very helpful.

However, I live in the fourth largest freekin city in the US (Houston) and there is not a single outlet where I can veiw or hold these cameras. Where do folks in Texas shop for goodies. Is it all done via mail?

Kirk

Aaron Banks May 31st, 2004 10:13 AM

Its been a while since I have been through Texas, but if you have a Good Guys or Best Buy (forgot the exact one) they usually have a TRV950 on display. It will feel very similar to a PDX10, it basicly is one without the xlr and mic.

I personally picked my DVC80 over a PDX10.