Advice on music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:32 PM   #1

Advice on music video

Feel free to move this if it's not appropriate here. I'm a newbie with a DVX-100a and have been doing some paid video work since I got the cam.

I'm now about to shoot a hip-hop video in a nightclub, and am looking for tips before I begin, so I dont shoot myself in the foot.

Specifically would love any advice on lighting (right now don't have a light kit - is there a cheap one, or preferably can the DVX cope just with nightclub lighting so I don't have to buy one?)

Secondly, what settings would be good on the DVX for this kind of gig? I've become quite comfy with 24p (realize you can't do fast motion with it), and the Cinegamma settings, but I'd love any advice from anyone who has done this, or even if you haven't just on general shooting tips. 30p? Looking for a film look, and plan to edit in AE and FCP afterwards.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 02:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I haven't shot a musical video, but one technique that I see all the time is the use of soft lighting. Talent faces is illuminated using a Chinese lantern or a "Ringlight". I wouldn't suggest making a video using only night club footage. Because most likely it will be dark and it will be really hard to control the look. If possible use takes from a club and incorporate them into a sequence.

Good luck!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:42 PM   #3
New Boot

I need to know a little more info please. Will the event be shooting live where you just show up with your camera and live tape the event (gorilla film making) OR did the band schedule a shoot at the night club and you have an allocated production time to set-up and shoot where you will be stopping and starting again?

If you are showing up to a scheduled live event and you use the line "I'm with the band" to get past the doorman, this is a gorilla style taping. I recommend that you definately bring extra batteries and a light mount for your camera for any backstage interviews. If you have space backstage bring 1 light with a fold up reflector for bounce for interviews then store your light(s) with the band's gear. I also recommend bringing your camera in a backpack that is padded with a towel or foam. This way you don't scream "Hey everyone, I have an expensive camera in my pelican case." Also this keeps your camera with you at all times and frees up your hands while moving through poorly lit crowds. Try to cover the entire event like opening acts for networking. Ask permission from the band before you shoot and give them a free copy. Let the singer know you are there, he may just play to your camera. Get a 2nd camera man for cut aways. Bring headphones for monitoring. Bring business cards. Get to know the soundman and the promoter if at all possible for future work.

What I don't recommend is that you take a direct feed from a mixing board unless you know everything has a mic. I made that mistake and had muted drums. You could also lose valuable music cues needed for editing. Do not take your expensive camera into a mosh pit unless you can afford to loose it. I have come close too many times and it just isn't worth it.

If you are actually starting and stopping the band as a film director and only shooting 1 song, that is a different animal.

The best of luck.
Sean Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Low light shooting

The video below was shot partially in a club. It was shot with an XL-1 in frame mode. The exposure was set to manual and slightly adjusted. We used a 4 light lowel kit. The close ups in the club where the members really got close to the camera were lit by bouncing two lights off of some 3'x4' foam core from Staples ($12.00). This provided a simulated soft box look. All other light was just from the overhead trusses in the performance area. I'm sure you will get very good results with the DVX using similar lighting and settings.

Say!

http://161.58.78.36/asx/dvinfo/music...ff/SAY500K.asx
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2004, 07:56 PM   #5

great start

To answer the questions: it will be a shoot quite similar to the 'Say!' video, which is awesome by the way, just what I was looking for.

No live sound fortunately, so I can just have the artist lip sync, and I'll record the song into the mac later. Great tips on getting past the doorman though Sean.

James, how about this 4-light lowel kit - how much for something like that. And where did you place the lights in the club - on the wider shots where there wasn't much overhead light (the bar area) I was curious how you lit that while keeping the lights out of the picture.

With the foam core shots - where exactly did you place the light and the foam core so as to 'bounce' it off their faces?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion