DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Open DV Discussion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/)
-   -   Post-apocalyptic locations for MiniDV movie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/open-dv-discussion/27061-post-apocalyptic-locations-minidv-movie.html)

Jan van den Hemel June 4th, 2004 11:14 AM

Post-apocalyptic locations for MiniDV movie

I want to shoot a movie on DV set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Instead of using a lot of CGI, the idea is to use real locations (and enhance them only where necessary with CGI).

I know some movies do this, like the Japanese scifi movie Dragon Head which was shot in Uzbekistan.

However, I am not sure where to start or who to call etc for more information on these kind of locations. I live in Belgium and will shoot interior scenes here.

Hope somebody here can help me.

Thanks!

Chris Hurd June 4th, 2004 11:47 AM

When I was a kid in high school, we made our own little Super 8 movies, it was a great way to spend the summer. We shot this one story my buddy wrote, a science fiction piece, which involved a guy stranded on a barren planet totally devoid of features, a concrete wasteland.

Out at a nearby lake there was an immense spillway below a large earthen dam. Floodgates would channel water overflow into a valley for flood control. Most of the time, year after year, this place was empty and dry. There was a gigantic concrete apron at the base of the spillway, it had to be several acres in area. That was our set. We shot it in such a way that our hero appeared to be completely surrounded by a huge concrete desert. Worked out pretty well.

Of course we had discovered the location first and then wrote a story around it as an excuse to use it. If there's a spillway at a lake in your area, maybe it would work for you.

Jan van den Hemel June 4th, 2004 11:56 AM

Ah, super-8 memories... :-)

Actually, editing together numerous more nearby locations into a "post-apocalyptic world" is an option i do consider. There are interesting abandoned places in Belgium.

But my favorite location is this one... however it is forbidden to film there, i believe.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/saiga/yuji/gallary/gunsu/gunsu-html/01.html

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 4th, 2004 12:11 PM

Clevelander filmmaker Jason Tomaric's postapocalyptic DV movie One featured a scene shot in a barren wasteland that was actually, if I recall, a flattened landfill in Ohio that went on for acres. He also shot inside futuristic-looking locations--white tubes and tunnels lined with pipes--in a NASA facility.

Those pictures of Gunkanjima remind me of the pictures of Chernobyl linked to in this thread. Thanks for posting the link.

Jan van den Hemel June 4th, 2004 02:45 PM

The Chernobyl link does not work. (Not that I would be able to convince a crew to shoot there...)

"The One" seems interesting, I had not heard of it before. Thank you in turn for posting that link.

Keith Loh June 4th, 2004 02:53 PM

Industrial places. Parks. Buildings that might be torn down.

It seems like the series Stargate:SG1 has filmed in every abandoned quarry in British Columbia.

Of course, you have to worry about permissions and safety.

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 4th, 2004 02:53 PM

The official website is at whoistheone.com. The movie has never received a release or even a screening since it was reshot and reworked over a year ago.

A shame that the Chernobyl photo essay is MIA. Haunting images, poetic captions. Not even a Google cache remains. I wonder if she got in trouble for her incursion.

Keith Loh June 4th, 2004 03:23 PM

Actually, it turned out that she doesn't regularly take motorcycle trips into Chernobyl. That was fiction. She took those photos on a supervised tour (some were from other sources). No one is allowed into that area without permission.

Michael Wisniewski June 4th, 2004 03:36 PM

Rock quarries, decrepit piers, docks, abandoned buildings, factories, cement mills etc. are good places for that post-apocalyptic look - of course here in New York it's easy to find those things.

Since you're in Belgium, you might be able to find some abandoned castles and keeps. Or maybe take a road trip into East Germany or Poland.

I've always wanted to shoot a post-apocalyptic scene with Stonehenge in the background - as a nice "reminder" of lost civilizations.

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 4th, 2004 09:26 PM

Keith: Oh. How did you come to know that?

Here's a mirror, anyway, for Jan.

Keith Loh June 4th, 2004 09:28 PM

I think it was debunked on BoingBoing.

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 4th, 2004 09:35 PM

Indeed.

Josh Brusin June 4th, 2004 10:18 PM

Gunkanjima is freakin on my list now behind Petra...

Robert Knecht Schmidt June 4th, 2004 10:30 PM

I thought Petra was destroyed when they tried to take that cup past the seal.

Josh Brusin June 4th, 2004 11:06 PM

I think the climate would be tough on any seals...