Any suggestions on post-production teams? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 7th, 2004, 03:56 AM   #1
New Boot

Any suggestions on post-production teams?

I serve in Iraq in the Army Reserve. My unit specializes in reconstruction projects. I have had my Canon GL2, Azden mic, and assorted gear with me all over this country. I have 12 hours of tape recorded so far. I have a lot of background material and about two hours of really good interviews with the same group of soldiers. (I have signed releases too.)

I need some help deciding how to proceed once I get back. I 'm not sure what my target audience should be. I was thinking my target audience would be teenage boys, people with family members in the military, and military members. I know how to get the DVD into retail distribution. I will try to get it onto television. Based on that, what am I trying to produce? Do I make a 100 minute documentary? Longer or shorter?

I'm not making a pro-military or pro-invasion documentary. On the whole, my experience over here has been negative. Though I will admit that many many Iraqis really appreciate America. I think they will appreciate us more after 1 July and after they see their soccer team in the Olympics in Athens.

What is a good way to meet an editor that you'd like to work with? There are different styles of workign between editor and director. And I gotta find someone that I mesh with.

I would appreciate any advice or tips from your experience. Thanks a lot.

Regars,
----Mark

"Some people never see any beauty anywhere. Others see it everywhere."
Mark ONeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:08 AM   #2
Major Player

Firstly.... as an American citizen, I just want to say thank you for the efforts and sacrifices you've made.

As far as the video project...
I don't have any experience with this, but perhaps the best thing to do would be to put together a "package" to demo what you have. Include a story treatment or summary of the story that is to told, perhaps make a 1-5 minute demo tape or DVD from some of the best clips in your video. Something that could be used to shop to project to places like History Channel, or Discovery Channel (though I heard they don't take unsolicited projects any more), or something along those lines. (Maybe even PBS?)

It's probably a good idea to try and find an agent. Someone who can be on your side, knows the industry and people that make it tick, etc. Maybe look for programming that is at all similar to what you have, and record/watch the credits very closely. Use any contact information you can find in there to try and track down an agent.

Hope this helps.
Good luck.
Come home safe.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2004, 09:56 AM   #3
Air China Pilot

First of all, good to see that you are back safely.

Secondly, I'm curious as to the releases you secured. Are you really in the clear as far as releasing this video goes? Weren't you filming 'on the job'? I'm just asking, I don't know.
Old June 7th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

Thanks for the good work.

As Keith suggests, you almost certainly need written Army permission (from the appropriate levels and commands) to use the footage in any public manner.

To not do so could leave you open to legal reprisals via the UCMJ.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion