The best cheaper high-end DVcam? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 15th, 2004, 11:06 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The best cheaper high-end DVcam?

I'm trying to find the best high-end cheaper DVcam. I was looking at the following:

Canon GL1
Canon Optura XI
Sony TRV900
Sony TRV950

How important is 3CCD technology? What I need a camera for is, I'm planning a short film, and have been asked to film a wedding in late July. I considered borrowing, but then if a new project materialized, it's too much an inconvenience to keep borrowing. Eventually the loan costs would exceed the cost to simply buy.

I did buy the Sony VX2000 used, but the camera's a bit too much for me, as far as price, size, and features go. I thought it would be better to use one of the cheaper cameras, gain some experience, then upgrade to the higher-end cameras afterwords.

I'm going to try to do more research this time (hopefully physically try the cameras as well, but most stores don't have these high-end cameras on display).

Lesson learned at least--there shouldn't be a hurry when buying electronics.
Andres Bant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:19 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Andres. I would strongly urge you to keep your VX-2000, unless you really need something small. The TRV900 has been off the market for several years now, but by all reports it was a nice camera. The only things that would be different from your VX-2000 would be its size and poorer low light response,; I think you'd find all the controls basically the same. Ditto for the TRV950, but even worse in low light. It does have some upgrades to the VX-2000, like a better LCD I suppose, and it can take better stills. The GL-2 is going to be similar to your VX-2000 as well, but with 1/4" chips instead of 1/3". I suppose the Optura is in a different size class.

Stick with the VX-2000. Learning to use the controls really isn't all that hard.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2004, 01:49 PM   #3
Contributor

I agree--keep the VX2000. It's bigger chips give you better picture quality, and it's better under the kind of lighting conditions you will get at weddings.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'd also suggest you keep the Sony VX2000. I went the smaller, lighter, less complicated, less expensive route and am not happy with the results.

I've just been to Leo's Camera's here in Vancouver Canada again who said the Sony VX2000 and Panasonic DVX100A is where to start if you want almost commercial looking video. But proffessionals only consider cameras twice this price and size to produce cable TV quality video. And it's not because the people at Leo's are elitists. Low cost camcorders have all sorts of problems with artifacts that make the pictures look very amateur.
Ben Wiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 10:35 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Your best bet is to hang on to your VX2000; use its automatic modes while you're learning your way around it. You've made a good choice with that camera and now it's just a matter of applying yourself to explore its capabilities.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:20 PM   #6
Inner Circle

BBC Online Training has some guides for ENG (electronic news gathering) shooting.

http://www.bbctraining.com/onlineCou...=5160&cat=2781

For films you may want to do things a bit differently. Exposure and focus should probably be set manually and left there.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:36 AM   #7
Major Player

What they said. You've got a good camera that will serve well even while in the initial learning stages.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion