3 chip under $1000 choices at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 17th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #1
Tourist

3 chip under $1000 choices

I have a PD170 to use for pro stuff and love it. At home the family uses a few year old Sony TRV-17 single chip DV.

what 3 ccd small (read wife can use chasing kids) cameras are there to choose from? I read about the Panasonic PVGS70 or S120's. Is there anything else under $1000 that's decent?

Where will the results of the inexpensive 3 ccd fall...closer to the PD170 or my old trv-17? Low light is the main problem with our home camera. She would use it on full auto almost all of the time.

thanks!
Sean
Old June 19th, 2004, 07:58 PM   #2
Wrangler

If you use any of the 1/6" 3CCD Panasonics you'll want to add an on-camera light of at least 10-20w.

The TRV17 is a nice cam. Is it too large? I recall it being rather decent in low light (nowhere close to the PD170 of course).
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2004, 03:25 AM   #3
Tourist

the trv-17 is so-so in low light. I'm sure using a PD170 has caused me to notice how bad a 1 chip consumer can be.

That said, can anyone speak to how much better the small panasonic 3 ccd cameras would be in low light compared to the sony 1 chip?

thanks!
Sean
Old June 20th, 2004, 07:22 AM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
That said, can anyone speak to how much better the small panasonic 3 ccd cameras would be in low light compared to the sony 1 chip?
Unfortunately you'll be taking a small step backwards in low light performance with the GS120 and GS70. Both the GS120 and GS70 have low pixel count (460k x 3) but the CCDs are 1/6" and require more light than most to achieve their best.

I'm on my second Panasonic 1/6" 3CCD and while I might have to light a scene a little more their compact size and video performance are well worth the trade-offs. I use a VX2000 when I can't turn the lights up.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion