Sony VX2100 or Canon GL2? Please help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 17th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony VX2100 or Canon GL2? Please help!

Hi, I'm new here, and have got back into making films, so I'm alittle rusty on the times. Recently, a new slew of cameras came out while I was out of the hobby(when I got out the PD150 was just coming out) and I've heard good things about the Sony VX2100.

Well, here's my dilema. I'm looking for a medium range camera in the $2,000 and it's really boiled down to either the Sony VX2100 or Canon GL2. Now, I've never owned a Canon camcorder, but I have owned a Sony camera, and I've heard good things about both.

I want to make short films and spend my money's worth on the sharpest looking best bang for the buck camcorder. Which one would you recommend? I've already found something I don't like about the GL2, which is when you need to use manual focus you have to hold the focus button down while turning the dial. I like how Sony has theres better. So, would it be wise to stick with the tryed and true GL2 or go with the new Sony VX2100? Your opinons please.
Jake Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 02:19 PM   #2
Wrangler

I have a VX-2000 and the 2100 offers some nice incremental upgrades. With bigger chips and better low light than the GL-2 I think it's a good choice, although the Canon has some nice things like frame mode.

To further complicate things, you might check out the Sony PDX-10 and Panasonic DVC-80 and DVC-30. All of these are in the same cost ballpark. The PDX-10 has most of the features of the PD-150; XLR's, short shotgun mike, DVCAM recording, BW viewfinder, and also possibly the best quality 16:9 mode of any of the prosumers. But it has smaller chips so low light performance suffers some. I also have one of these and like it a lot.

The DVC-80 is discontinued but probably still available and gets enthusiastic user reports. It also has XLR inputs and is sort of an ENG version of the DVX-100a. The DVC-30 is new, and similar in size to the PDX-10, also with smaller CCD's. An XLR box is available as an accessory.

Tough choice in this price range, but it's nice to have choices! Why not spend a little time reviewing our forums for each of these cameras, the topic has come up often in the past.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 02:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Boyd Ostroff : I have a VX-2000 and the 2100 offers some nice incremental upgrades. With bigger chips and better low light than the GL-2 I think it's a good choice, although the Canon has some nice things like frame mode.

To further complicate things, you might check out the Sony PDX-10 and Panasonic DVC-80 and DVC-30. All of these are in the same cost ballpark. The PDX-10 has most of the features of the PD-150; XLR's, short shotgun mike, DVCAM recording, BW viewfinder, and also possibly the best quality 16:9 mode of any of the prosumers. But it has smaller chips so low light performance suffers some. I also have one of these and like it a lot.

The DVC-80 is discontinued but probably still available and gets enthusiastic user reports. It also has XLR inputs and is sort of an ENG version of the DVX-100a. The DVC-30 is new, and similar in size to the PDX-10, also with smaller CCD's. An XLR box is available as an accessory.

Tough choice in this price range, but it's nice to have choices! Why not spend a little time reviewing our forums for each of these cameras, the topic has come up often in the past. -->>>

Thank you for the feedback! I have read many reviews and done some research, and I still at the same spot again. Either the Canon GL2 or the Sony VX2100. All the reviews I've read have praised the Sony VX2100 for it's great low-light shots and overall good performance. It's newer also, and it sounds like the Canon is slacking behind. I'm almost postive that I'm going with the Sony VX2100, unless somebody convinces me not to. Thank you for your help!

Also, do I need to worry about Sony or Canon releasing a mid-range camera right after I buy one, like a GL3? That would be a bummer.
Old June 17th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

>It's newer

I own a vx2000 and chose it over the GL2 for the indoor, lower light performance. While I like the camera, the VX2000 is an,
ahem, established model. The VX2100 is a nearly negligible upgrade on the vx2000, thus it is also "tried and true"
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 04:18 PM   #5
Trustee

Re: Sony VX2100 or Canon GL2? Please help!

<<<-- I've already found something I don't like about the GL2, which is when you need to use manual focus you have to hold the focus button down while turning the dial. -->>>

I don't really understand this statement. To activate manual focus, you just press the button and that's it - no holding it down at all. You just focus using the excellent large rubber sleeve on the lens.
Oh, and the pictures are really sharp as well.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #6
New Boot

here's an older but similar thread... your should read it :)

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=25714
Gerald Yuvallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:14 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Arr, you guys are making it even harder to decide. It seems alot of people are 50/50. Sounds like the GL2 has a better layout and also extra optical zoom, and the VX2100 has better low light picture. I guess what it boils down to is which one is comfortable to me. I've already played around with the GL2, but I need to go play around with a VX2100.

So, really my last question would be..

What camera should I choose for the best total performance and best picture to make films?

Thanks everyone!
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:33 AM   #8
Major Player

There's nothing wrong with the control layout of the VX. The VX will give you more latitude, with it's larger chips. This means more to me than longer zoom or frame rate. For me, there is no question of which is the better camera.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 01:53 AM   #9
New Boot

we all have our own preferences... before I bought my GL2, I went out and tried both units... I liked the GL2 better... and since I mostly shoot outdoor scenes, the low light performance of the sony VX didn't affect my decision... maybe the bigger CCD's of the VX will give u higher resolution, but then again it is useless on my application... I needed a lighter, smaller, and one that I felt has a better control layout... and I liked the color of the GL2 too... it won't absorb as much heat as the VX while shooting under the sun...

that decision depends on you alone Jake :)
Gerald Yuvallos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 03:33 AM   #10
Major Player

I have the GL2 and love everything about it...except it's low-light performance. It is definately lacking in this area, and you notice it. But other than that I love the camera. Its lay out is wonderful, has great features (frame mode, adjustable audio channels, 20x zoom -- I love this one, the list goes on) and its also a little smaller and (I think) easier to hold/manage than the VX.

Just my $.02
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 10:41 AM   #11
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Gerald Yuvallos : we all have our own preferences... before I bought my GL2, I went out and tried both units... I liked the GL2 better... and since I mostly shoot outdoor scenes, the low light performance of the sony VX didn't affect my decision... maybe the bigger CCD's of the VX will give u higher resolution, but then again it is useless on my application... I needed a lighter, smaller, and one that I felt has a better control layout... and I liked the color of the GL2 too... it won't absorb as much heat as the VX while shooting under the sun...

that decision depends on you alone Jake :) -->>>

Put the pressure on me now! :P

Ok, well Optical zoom isn't has important to me. So, I'm still leaning toward the VX2100. Now, they really both have the same picture quality correct? Just the VX2100 has slightly better low-light picture quality correct? But, it doesn't have a lofty optical zoom up to 20X and is alittle bit more heavey then the GL2. Well, I don't know what else to say. :) I'm just going to go to my local store and try both of them out and see which one is the most comfortable. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Old June 18th, 2004, 05:31 PM   #12
Regular Crew

To maybe complicate your choice futher, I have just bought a PAL Pana DVC30 and it rocks ;)

It has a VERY strurdy metal construction, when the GL2 is plastic, and has as many and more features.

I think the 30 is the DVX's lil' brother. It has frame mode like the GL2, but also Cine Gamma which adds to the 'film look'. I have tried this cam over the past few days and am quite glad I didn't buy an XM2/GL2, although it was a bit less cash.

I had wanted to get the vx2100 for its low light capability, but the DVC30 has other features like frame mode+gamma which can't be achieved in the same way on the Sony.

You should seriously look at the DVC30, as it is in this general price range. Obviously, it all depends on what you want the camera for, if you don't want film look, but need low light, get the Sony, but if you fancy a 'film look' go for the GL2 or DVC30 - or the DVX100a for true progressive if you can afford it ;)

Dave.
Dave Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #13
Trustee

I second Dave's remarks. After using and breaking parts off a GL-1 and GL-2 I swore I would never own another all plastic cam again. I must admit the places I go are demanding on a cam and I am not the most careful person in the world. However, my old 35 cameras with their dings and scrapes have lasted 25 years. The DVC30 is built like a fine 35 mm camera. I have had mine for about 3 weeks now. The performance is really good. I too was looking hard at purchasing the vx2100 and probably would not have been disappointed if I had. However, the DVC30 really intriged me and I think I made a good choice. The only question I have about my cam is its durability over the long haul as no one knows yet.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:09 PM   #14
Regular Crew

My head is spinning right now with all the choices! :P

So, the GL2 and DVC30 will give me a more "film" look then the VX2100? I thought the VX2100 and GL2 really had the same performance and looked the same in picture basically? I'm not really siked about the "frame mode", so it doesn't matter if the camera has it or not. Thanks for your feedback!
Old June 19th, 2004, 04:28 AM   #15
Trustee

Jake,

My experience is the DVC really excells in the 60i 4:3 mode. I have used both the GL-2 frame mode and tried the movie mode on the DVC last night. I really don't see what all the hoopla is about. Don't care any for 24p on other cams either. In my opinion the 60i 4:3 on the DVC30 is better unless you are going for a stylized look and you can get that also with the DVC30.
Mark Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion