Hard time deciding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 19th, 2004, 02:01 AM   #1
New Boot

Hard time deciding

I've been trying to decide on which cam to go with for a while now. I had a GL1 that I used before, belonged to my high school and I recently graduated.

I'm looking for a cam to use for shorts, music videos, event shooting (shows/concerts), documentary type filming..
(mainly shorts, shows)

I've got my eyes set on either (they are all in my budget)

DVC30 (first choice, mostly because of cine gamma)
DVC80 (second, no cinegamma, but it has onboard xlr)

PDX10 (third, I really like the 16:9 option, however seems to be lesser image quality)

if you guys could sorta help me narrow this down.. it'd be great.
Why or why not to go with certain ones..
Loren White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 08:35 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Hard time deciding

<<<-- Originally posted by Loren White : PDX10 (third, I really like the 16:9 option, however seems to be lesser image quality) -->>>

I really don't think this is the case. The image quality should be very similar to the other cameras you mention (Sony specs 530 lines horizontal resolution). And the 16:9 quality should be significantly better than your other choices since the CCD's are higher resolution.

The issues with the PDX-10 are related to the chip size and pixel density. This hurts its performance in low light situations - really low light situations, like outside at night. The other problem with these small chips is a tendency towards vertical smear, where an intense light source against a dark background can create a white vertical line. Personally I think this can be avoided most of the time by using manual controls.

Can you still get the DVC-80? B&H lists it as out of stock, and at $2,400 it doesn't sound like such a great deal, but maybe there are other sources with better prices.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 08:40 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

XLR audio is very easy to add to the DVC30. There is no difference in audio quality between the DVC80 and DVC30.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 12:45 PM   #4
Wrangler

All great cams with their individual strengths.

If I was deciding between the two it would come down to whether I wanted the best 16:9 possible (PDX10) or mediocre 16:9 (DVC30) with frame mode and cine-like gamma.

I would probably go for the PDX10 after seeing these frames. The GS100 was only released in Japan (for about $1200 USD) but the GS400 is on the horizon (July 04) and it should improve on the GS100 but also be avaiable in N.A. and PALsville. I've had a PDX10 and currently own a GS100 and the PDX10 is even better at 16:9 than the GS100....

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=901419
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 01:21 PM   #5
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd :There is no difference in audio quality between the DVC80 and DVC30. -->>>

Chris - Is the DVC30's audio with XLRs really as quiet as a DVC80/DVX100? Are it's preamps that good? Seems like I received a response previously that the DVC30 is not as quiet, but don't know of anyone that's actually done a head-to-head comp on this.
Gary Garner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 01:46 PM   #6
New Boot

Its wierd, whenever I try to watch someones footage of there PDX10 in windows media player I cant even see anything but a bunch of smear and fuzz.. must be a codec problem?

Actually expresscamera.com lists most of these cams in the 1600 range.
Old June 19th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I have just bought a Pal DVC30 and it is a great camera. I was lucky enough to get an XLR adapter for free with mine and now I just need a decent shotgun mic. The XLR that you can use with this cam is supposed to be better than the BeachTek that can be used with cams like the GL2 and VX2100 because it has phantom power and is made of metal (correct me if i'm wrong). And the DVC30 has a XLR plug for you to plug in the adapter as well - unlike the GL2 or VX2100.

Things I love about my 30:

* Frame mode and Cine Gamma are sweet.
* Fantastic 16x Zoom that can be set to zoom from wide to tele in 1 second or 100!
* VERY sturdy metal construction (not plastic like the GL2)
* It is light, but not too much - it fits nicely in the hand.
* Isn't great in low light, but is ok.
* XLR capable for pro audio.

If you don't need Frame+Gamma get the DVC80 - if you can still find one, but I think that the DVC30's extra options give you more to experiment with IMO.

Dave.
Dave Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 04:48 PM   #8
Wrangler

Loren, first of all, welcome to DVinfo.net!

Expresscamera.com is not somewhere you would probably want to invest your hard earned dollar(s). As always I invite people to use ResellerRatings.com to get first hand experiences from actual customers. Then after you do that then feel free to head on over to B&H Photo where you not only get a great price but also have knowledgeable staff at your disposal.

Here is the direct link for ExpressCamera.com on ResellerRatings

Click here

.. as for the PDX10 footage, its not so much the camera since all MiniDV cams use DV25 codec on tape but instead its usually what format (MPEG, Quicktime, AVI, VCD,..) its saved as in post that gives folks playback issues.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #9
New Boot

Oh man, thanks for the heads up Tommy.. I knew there had to have been a catch, its funny because even on there site it says "all Items are sent new in there original package"
what a load of bs.

Anyway, I think i've settled myself with the DVC30, It seems like it will suit my needs nicely.

Im going to order from B&H it says.. Panasonic AG-DVC30 1/4-Inch 3-CCD Camcorder with Infrared Mode Nighttime Shooting System

what exactly is the "Infrared mode nighttime shooting system"
would that not noramally come with the camera or something?
Old June 19th, 2004, 07:55 PM   #10
Wrangler

Loren, this PDF on the DVC30 should help out explaining the Infrared Night mode. Its has a great pic with the optional infrared light (98ft/30m) installed atop the XLR adapter (there is a built-in IR light but its weak - 16ft/5m). The DVC30 is the first 3CCD cam to employ this type of night vision.

Click here
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion