Lense Cleaning solution at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 22nd, 2004, 05:05 PM   #1
Registration Suspended

Lense Cleaning solution

I was wondering if someone could recommend a good lens cleaning solution for my camera. If anyone could help me I would be extremely grateful. Thanks.
Burling Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:31 AM   #2
Major Player

I use a lens cleaning solution made for eyeglasses - it's cheaper and seems to work cleaner (less residue) that the photographic lens cleaners.

You might also investigate the lens cleaning pens that are available.
Mike Cavanaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:53 AM   #3
Major Player

DO NOT use eye glass cleaning solution. There are abrasives in it that can harm camera lenses though I can't, right now, remember the specifics.

I do not like the pens, personally, and prefer to just use an ROR (residual oil remover) that I make myself but you can buy it at most camera stores.

Unfortunately, many camera stores have bought into this "convenience is better than usefulness" and I found out one of our local, large camera stores no longer carries it, prefering to sell you the more expensive and, potentially damaging, cleaning cloths.

Just remember that the only time you should use a solution on your lens is when there is a build up of film, goo or marks on it.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:22 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I agree DO NOT use eyeglass cleaner as most have anti-fog coating in them that will totally mess up your focus ( end up with soft focus and sometime auto focus will have difficulty locking on focus). Clean with reputable lens cleaner( mainly alcohol and water) only if lens is really dirty otherwise just blow off dust etc with lens brush.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:29 PM   #5
Trustee

Any links to products you guys use? I was just out shooting and using my little lense cloth and wondering what others used.

Thanks, Murph
Old June 24th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #6
Major Player

What about soap and water? Would a mild detergent harm lens coatings?

Dennis Vogel
Dennis Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Soap can leave behind a residue if you don't thoroughly rinse it with water. Today's soaps contain chemicals and are not true "soaps".
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:28 PM   #8
Major Player

I use the lens cleaning solution made by Pancro in LA. Some of the motion picture rental houses sell it and Barbizon NY may have it. Many of the film AC's think it is the best. When you buy a Pancro filter they usually send you a bottle. But it's pricey as I recall.
Jim Sofranko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion