Wide Shot Resolution - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old July 5th, 2004, 07:38 PM   #46
Contributor

Awesome work Boyd! Thank You for all that food for thought.
Old July 6th, 2004, 04:26 AM   #47
Major Player

Congratulations Boyd. These are unique pics for those "who want to know..and see". Maybe one point again: uprezzing in the (VX2K) cam generates a lot of artifacts (vertical straddling) mainly because of the limited rescaler performance. A better result ( even better than the FCP upez) is to go straight into the display scaler with the 4:3 pic. Especially modern high-end displays can do an allmost perfect uprez job. See http://users.pandora.be/andredeclercq/
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 06:13 AM   #48
Wrangler

That is very interesting Andre. I assume the "cinema 16:9" was shot on the VX-2000 as letterboxed 4:3? It does look a lot cleaner. I will have to take my letterbox shot, apply some black bars and feed it to my Sony 16:9 screen to how its scaler compares to the FCP stretch, which I felt was disappointing.

Also try this: take my VX-2000 image that was shot in 4:3 and framed for 16:9 http://www.greenmist.com/dv/16x9/07.JPG and put it into photoshop. Now crop it to the top and bottom of the chart and you should end up with 720x360. Finally, resize to 854x480. The result is substantially better than any of the other VX-2000 widescreen examples I posted. I should probably include this on my webpage.... ah, and I thought I was done! So I'd imagine that something like After Effects might be the way to go if you're shooting widescreen on the VX-2000. I don't have that program so I can't try, but DVFilm Maker does this I think, so maybe I'll run the image through that.

Fascinating topic, there are a lot of turns in this road...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2004, 07:09 AM   #49
Major Player

I don't know the exact concept used for of the VX2K uprez, but I think they use a fixed polyphase filter technique with linear interpollation, and because there is no framebuffer it has to be applied on field basis which makes linear interpollation more prone for the vertical artifacts we see. But even if the framebuffer would be there (and smart deinterlacing and reinterlacing would be applied) it would still be inferior (I think) against a performant direct uprez into a higher resolution (768 pix in my 37"LCD TV)
And indeed rescaling a Photoshop still frame should be allmost perfect because of the more sophisticated interpollation used for PS. But unfortunately this algorithm would be difficult to get it real time for video images, and moreover this ideal uprezzed pics would need to be rescaled again in most 16:9 displays.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion