What to use for a blue/green screen headshot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old August 15th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What to use for a blue/green screen headshot

I am looking for a blue/green screen background solution as an alternative to traditional portrait photography backgrounds that only really needs to be 6'x6' or slightly larger since it would be used for interview closeups.

The only simple idea I've come up with is buying a muslin background and bringing a foldeable or non-foldeable board over which to drape the screen, but I'm open to all sorts of suggestions.

Any ideas?
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Here's a pretty good discussion on this, with a couple of potential sources...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/open-dv-d...p-sources.html
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The muslin ones are doable, but if you are planning on a lot of on-location interviews you'll probably be cursing it each time you have to set it up and smooth out the wrinkles to get a decent chroma key pull from it. I'd pay the extra money for a flexi-type screen from a good manufacturer. The amount of time saved at each location as well as time tweeking each shot on your editing software will pay for itself many times over. There's also some new product on the market made of a foam material that is ssupposed to resist wrinkles, but I couldn't find it just now.
Steve Rusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys.

I checked the link to the other thread, and it seems that eefx screens are getting good reviews. If you can think of other alternatives, let me know.
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I have another basic question about chroma keying and lighting. It seems to be pretty common to have blue/green screens curve into the floor of the set (I assume the basic reason here is to reduce the possibility that the set floor will get into the shot). How is the lit evenly so that there isn't uneven lighting (bright spots and shadows) on the curved and flat portions of the screen?
Natan Pakman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion