Filters for new mattebox questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion

Open DV Discussion
For topics which don't fit into any of the other categories.

Old June 29th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Filters for new mattebox questions

I'm getting my new Cavision mattebox and rods system on Thursday for use with my XL1S. It will have three filter holders - two of which rotate 360 degrees. I have already bought a Schneider 4"X4" linear polarizer. But, I am wondering what other filters I might "need" (or want) to get?

I am thinking about using only Schneider filters because of their great reputation for high quality. It doesn't seem to make much sense to deteriorate the image while trying to improve it?

Naturally, with the increased quality of the filters, their is also a high price to pay for Schneider filters --- literally.

But, which types of filters might I want to initially invest in for generally shooting documentaries / travel type videos - both indoors and out?

What about graduated neutral density filters? Maybe a couple of graduated color filters? But, which colors? Star filters?

I don't think I care much for the effect achieved with mist or soft-focus filters, but maybe I'm wrong? Maybe a clear glass filter would work if I smear enough gooey vaseline on it? (just kidding)

Thought I'd see what the wise folks here on the forum might have to suggest...

Oh yeah, does anyone know where I can legally buy filters at a huge discount? [g]

== Ed ==
Ed Baatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Cavision also sells Formatt 4x4 filters to go with their matte boxes. Here's are 2 lists of recommended filters for DV to choose from.

(Don't have catalog #'s for this list)
-Formatt 4x4 Clear Hi-Definition Filter
-Formatt 4x4 UV Haze Hi-Definition Filter
-Formatt 4x4 Polarizer Hi-Definition Filter
-Formatt 4x4 .6 Graduated Soft Edge ND Hi-Definition Filter
-Formatt 4x4 Color Enhancer Hi-Definition Filter
-Formatt 4x4 Black Supermist Diffusion Hi-Definition Filter

BF 4-ND.6 - Neutral Density 0.6
B4 4-HEND.3G - Neutral Density 0.3 Graduated
BF 4-POLARIS Polarizer
BF 4-H-WBLKS - Warm Black Supermist
BF 4-1-CLRSU - Clear Supermist
BF 4-STE1 - Skin Tone Enhancer #1
Jack Barker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Open DV Discussion